Orthodox view of Change

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

Orthodox view of Change

Post by On Own Now » 03 Apr 2019, 14:11

There's an interesting article over at lds.org (er, is that churchofjesuschrist.org?)

https://www.lds.org/blog/the-most-impor ... nge-of-all

This is a nice, fully orthodox view of the changing times and the potential for looking inward for improvement. I appreciate the tone and emphasis of the article. It's interesting to see this kind of article pop up somewhat frequently from the orthodox perspective, because this kind of dialog was what we would have considered non-orthodox just five-ish years ago.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Orthodox view of Change

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Apr 2019, 14:41

That is interesting.

Thanks for sharing it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 03 Apr 2019, 14:56

Nice article. I am wondering what elements do you see as non-orthodox? Thank you for your insight.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 03 Apr 2019, 15:26

Roy wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 14:56
Nice article. I am wondering what elements do you see as non-orthodox? Thank you for your insight.
I think it is all orthodox now. What is orthodox is changing right now, in our time. It's kind of cool. Just a handful of years ago, we would not have seen so much emphasis on NOT following blindly. The paragraphs that start "I couldn't agree more" and "God wants to speak to us" would have been written and presented differently.

But even more so is the "change the culture" discussion, coupled with the idea that the people IN the Church ARE the Church... It is our responsibility to change the Church culture, rather than the Church's responsibility to tell us what the culture should be. "We have the opportunity to be that change as we literally restore the Savior's ways in His Church in our day." We restore... the Savior's ways... in His Church. That's a major shift.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 03 Apr 2019, 15:30

Roy wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 14:56
I am wondering what elements do you see as non-orthodox?
I don't want to speak for OON [edit: posted this at the same time as OON's response], but I think his view is that it's an orthodox article now, but 5 years ago elements in the article would have been considered non-orthodox.

Change itself. It's hard to pin this down because I feel like change (room for new revelations) has always been a part of the doctrines of the church but there's been a paradoxical attitude that has developed within that doctrinal culture, the element that is resistant to change because of the testimonies placed on past revelations. Stated differently, it's hard to change because we have to move off something that has served as a foundation.

Just my opinion, but over the last several decades it felt like the "heavens" were closed because there were so few changes. What was the point of having a church that believes in continued revelation if we didn't use it?

But...

I'd like to see our embrace of change extend all the way down to the local level. To our sacrament meetings and Sunday schools. I feel like we still derive too much comfort from keeping the conversations well within the bounds set by correlation.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

Roy

Post by Roy » 03 Apr 2019, 15:39

Thanks again for those insights!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 Apr 2019, 06:14

Honestly, after studying more church history and my personal experiences, here is my opinion on growth in the church. It grows like a toddler.

The periods of correlation and consolidation are like the growth spurts that a kid has as they absorb tons of food. The periods of change and challenge are like those times when the kid shoots up an inch in their sleep.

It seems under President Nelson that we are in the growth spurt era :lol: