What is there left to change?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

What is there left to change?

Post by mom3 » 31 Mar 2019, 09:22

GC is a week away. The web is rife with rumors. Most of them totally bogus. So...what is left to change?

Thus far,
  • church hours
  • home study
  • temple program
  • mission rules
  • seminary
  • quorums
  • classes
  • death rituals
Your thoughts?
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Re: What is there left to change?

Post by nibbler » 31 Mar 2019, 09:32

mom3 wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 09:22
death rituals
I think I missed that change. Are we not washing the goat before the sacrifice anymore? Asking for a friend.

Today in F&T someone shared a conference rumor... that Nelson will tell people to stop spreading rumors. My ward. Fun at parties.

Edit: Oh, the veiled face thing. Duh.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 31 Mar 2019, 09:54

More serious post.

All the changes in your thus far list have touched on the major cultural aspects of the church. All except maybe the WoW. I'm wondering what stigma still exists with coffee and tea in 2019. That and I bet the church could get a boost in converts if things like coffee and tea didn't bar people from joining.

I'm trying to avoid making this a wish list of things I'd like to see changed, so all I'll say is that whatever the changes may or may not be, after the dust settles please don't make members go through another 30 or 40 year period where we rest on our laurels.
If one dream dies, dream another dream. If you get knocked down, get back up and go again.
― Joel Osteen

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2019, 12:08

I agree with Nibbler that all the changes so far have been cultural, and thus have been a surprise to some who think everything is doctrine. I think there are plenty more cultural changes that can and will be made - not necessarily all this coming weekend.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2019, 13:16

I could see cutting mission lengths to 18 months for calls where the missionary already speaks the language and keeping "foreign-speaking missions" at 24 months - for men and women.

Lots of college students are getting endowed now and even being temple workers without having served missions, so no change there.

I could see a name change from the General Conference Priesthood Session to the General Men's session.

I could see more callings being open to women.

I could see none of that happening immediately.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 31 Mar 2019, 13:49

Unbundling temple sealings from civil marriage. That is a possibility given the prevalence of gay marriage. who knows. If so, I wish it had've been around when I got married, and my daughter. But that's water under the bridge. If they do go that route, it'll "cheapen the sacrifices" people made to get married without non-mem or less active family present. It'll show that it really wasn't all that important after all.

Whoever made up that dumb rule (the one year penalty)....and its weak justification is beyond my understanding :crazy:
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 31 Mar 2019, 13:57

Stake structure - needs streamlining.

Stake and area presidencies to be encouraged to use more telecommunications rather than meeting face to face

Temple(s) in Africa and possibly Asia.

Seminary.

I agree with many of the comments above.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2019, 14:01

I would applaud separating temple sealings from civil marriages

I could see serious changes to Seminary.

I also could see more explicit focus on service missionaries.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 31 Mar 2019, 14:04

Curt Sunshine wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 14:01
I would applaud separating temple sealings from civil marriages

I could see serious changes to Seminary.

I also could see more explicit focus on service missionaries.
I'd love to see more attention given to service missionaries. :thumbup:
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 31 Mar 2019, 18:08

This next GC, I would be suprised if there isn't some kind of change. Just because of RMN's track record, I'm sure there's been something else in the system that's been on his mind. My guess, is the missionary time for Elder's being reduced from 24 months to 18 months.

A Churchwide policy allowing for separate temple sealings and civil marriages would be expected in the near future.

For doctrinal "changes", I would like to see them to do away with any polygamous sealings. State that for those already done, it will be worked out in the next life, but no man will have more than one wife in the eternities. But given how RMN is a "celestial polygamist", I don't think I could see it happening for a while. JRH would be most likely to issue the change, I feel.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket