Conservatism and Control vs. Autonomy and Respect

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Conservatism and Control vs. Autonomy and Respect

Post by hawkgrrrl » 04 Apr 2019, 15:46

FWIW, I hate the idea of prostitution, but I don't have answers to how to deal with it. It's been around for a very long time. It saddens me that so many women find themselves in a situation where it is their only viable way forward. Undoubtedly, it works for some, but I have a feeling it is bad for most.
I agree, and I keep thinking that it's poverty exploitation. People who have better options almost never resort to this. And then, part of me thinks that all of "women's work" is like this (meaning the stuff that men want women to do as financially dependent wives). Everyone wants it for free, and nobody wants to pay for it. A lot of these aging prostitutes in Amsterdam understand that they are the product they are selling, and they realize they have a sell-by date. There are so many wacky things about this topic, things I feel women have to think about and men likely don't.

mom3

Re: Conservatism and Control vs. Autonomy and Respect

Post by mom3 » 04 Apr 2019, 15:54

A lot of these aging prostitutes in Amsterdam understand that they are the product they are selling, and they realize they have a sell-by date.
My very first time in Amsterdam, I saw "her" in the window. She literally was at the sell by date. Holding on for the last farthing. It broke my heart even more than seeing the too young, tricked out girls who hustle in the cities near me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman