How Happy Are You?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.

How Happy Have You Been over the last Six Months?

Extremely Happy
25%
Somewhat Happy
50%
Neither Happy or UnHappy
6%
Somewhat Unhappy
19%
Extremely Unhappy
No votes

Total votes: 16

SilentDawning

Re: How Happy Are You?

Post by SilentDawning » 28 Mar 2019, 06:54

I picked extremely happy, although after I created the poll I wished I'd used a seven point scale rather than a five point scale. I am slightly below extremely happy, but somewhat happy was also too low for me.

Although it was emotionally traumatic to redefine my relationship with the church, after I grew comfortable with it, I have found my overall happiness level is much higher than it used to be.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 28 Mar 2019, 11:50

They say happiness is relative to your perception of where you are in relation to others. So when I'm traveling in Europe, I'm happy. When I'm doing something I don't want to do, I try to think of the reasons it's not so bad and others are doing worse things they don't want to do. I try to focus on the choice and control I have in my life that so many don't have.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Mar 2019, 16:19

I'm glad no one is in the last category, although I have been there.
hawkgrrrl wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 11:50
They say happiness is relative to your perception of where you are in relation to others. So when I'm traveling in Europe, I'm happy. When I'm doing something I don't want to do, I try to think of the reasons it's not so bad and others are doing worse things they don't want to do. I try to focus on the choice and control I have in my life that so many don't have.
What I want is that lasting contentment. Happiness in the usual sense is fleeting.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 29 Mar 2019, 07:40

I have definitely been in the extremely unhappy column at different points in my life. But research in the Big Five model of personality says that you get more emotionally stable with age. I think that is part of the reason I'm so happy...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 31 Mar 2019, 05:03

It waxes and wanes. Depends upon the day. Some days I'm fairly content. Others are hard. Right now I have three family members who have been in and out of the hospital in one week (all for different issues). One is my father who is quite elderly and MAY be in final decline. That's been a little tough. Maybe "stressed" is a better word than unhappy.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---