How Happy Are You?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.

How Happy Have You Been over the last Six Months?

Extremely Happy
25%
Somewhat Happy
50%
Neither Happy or UnHappy
6%
Somewhat Unhappy
19%
Extremely Unhappy
No votes

Total votes: 16

SilentDawning

How Happy Are You?

Post by SilentDawning » 27 Mar 2019, 06:48

Just curious about everyone's happiness level. The question above focuses on happiness, on average, over the last six months. If you're like me, there are episodic things that make you unusually unhappy and happy for maybe a day or two over a typical six-month period, so I figured looking at your happiness level, on average, or a six-month period is better.

I would like to follow this up with discussion, rather than sharing why I asked this question now -- so as not to influence the results.

Looking forward to your responses if you wish to participate.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

grobert93

Re: How Happy Are You?

Post by grobert93 » 27 Mar 2019, 08:00

Today specifically, and in the past two-three days I have found myself genuinely happy or at least excited and hopeful for the future. I think part of this sudden shift in my mood is because I've been taking sleeping pills and have woken up early but refreshed unlike before when I'd wake up at an average time in the morning but feel groggy. I haven't desired to sleep today or yesterday, which is also abnormal.

in the past six months I'd day I'm above neutral happy but not fully happy. a lot of personal things have happened, some bad, some neutral and some good. I am hopeful for less stress in the future. I'm making both temporal and spiritual changes in my life, from transitioning into a minimalistic life to trying to understand who God is personally. Overall I think life is good and going to get better.

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 27 Mar 2019, 08:20

I said "Extremely Happy," although I think that's kind of a stretch. I'd say I'm really "Mostly Happy." But the next category was "Somewhat Happy," and that felt too low.
I generally happy with life right now. Of course, there are those ups and downs caused by the typical curve balls that life throws at you. But, generally I'm happy with how things are going. Work is good, kids are doing well in school, marriage is...adequate, my relationship with church stuff is comfortable and on my own terms. I really don't have any major complaints about how things are going emotionally, socially, spiritually, financially, physically, or professionally.
I'm interested to hear the follow up, to see where this question is coming from. :thumbup:
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

dande48

Post by dande48 » 27 Mar 2019, 09:38

I too marked "Extremely happy"... but there are plenty of levels of between "extreme" and "somewhat" on both ends of the spectrum. I'd also not use the word "extreme" or "somewhat", because of their connotations. If someone said they were "extremely happy", I'd expect something extraordinary to be going on. If they were "extremely happy" the majority of the time, I'd think there was something wrong with them. "Extremely happy" is the happiest you can possibly be. On the other hand, if someone told me they were "somewhat happy", I'd think they're depressed, but didn't want to come out and say it. "I'm trying to be optimistic, but am having a hard time". That's what I'd hear.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 27 Mar 2019, 11:04

I would consider myself on the top end of the happiness bell curve. I am gainfully employed and have a supportive family. I tend to be positive in my nature and tend to justify my failures rather than internalize them with self-blame.

I marked "Somewhat Happy" because even with these positives, I am not able to label myself as extremely happy over a 6 month period.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 27 Mar 2019, 13:39

I marked "somewhat happy" based on the past six months or so. I could even have gone all the way down to the least happy choice. That has been because I have had extreme bouts of fear and anxiety as I actively began to deconstruct my belief structure. However, if you go back two weeks only, I would say "extremely happy" as I had a watershed discussion with my bishop about two weeks ago that wiped away about 80% of my fear and anxiety. It was extraordinary.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 27 Mar 2019, 14:00

I put "Somewhat Happy" because that was probably the best option. I was hoping for the "Mostly Happy - But Wait This Part of my Life Stinks" button, but I couldn't find it.

Here's the thing - I am happier than I remember being in a lot of ways because things are looking up. BUT, the downs in life sneak up and gut punch me more often.

My mom described it best in a sense because she has seen me "settle more comfortably into my skin" more recently.

Church-wise, pretty stable. I feel that am in a sweet spot with my church engagement. I teach R.S. lessons and help out with Achievement Days unofficially. I help my husband with his program paperwork when he is overwhelmed. I make sure the girls get to church more often then not. I try to be a good friend to the church members I see and build friendships (even though it seems recently others are helping me more than I am helping them).

I am reading "Sister Saints" and I have "Wrestling with the Angel" now. I guess spiritually I am keeping an ear and eye out for divinity in the universe, and getting on with life. I might be deluding myself, but I approach it this way - examining and building faith is a process that I seem to have stumbled into. I can hold on to my anger, bitterness, and resentment through this process, or I can calm myself so that I get through the process sooner and with less angst. There are hours and days when I feel the anger, bitterness, and resentment - but it doesn't have to be permanent or pervasive in my life.
Last edited by AmyJ on 28 Mar 2019, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 27 Mar 2019, 14:36

I consider myself "reasonably" happy. My wife is going through some health issues. It has been long term & doesn't look
like it will be improving. We have our ups & downs. In the past few weeks, it's been down. I wish I could describe it more
fully. But, I can't & won't.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 27 Mar 2019, 17:37

Not the unhappiest I've been by a long shot, but I have many worries in life, and I have been waiting for a medical test for six months. I'm on a waiting list. Maybe by the end of the year, but that frustrates me.

Also I'm more of a summer fan tbh.

In church terms? I think the ward treats me well. I have a calling I enjoy. A friend is divorcing - that's tough - and I miss seeing him there, but I feel my most dependable & kindest friends are in the church.

My life is a bit of a failure. Not rock bottom, but hard to know what I can do to improve it, because I feel part of that depends on the goodwill and understanding of others e.g. employers etc. I have a female friend I text occasionally and it's never come to anything.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Always Thinking

Post by Always Thinking » 27 Mar 2019, 20:00

I've been quite happy for the last while. Things have been hectic which adds some stress, but more often than not, I am enjoying life and feel lucky to be alive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk