Mission length to be announced in GC?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
QuestionAbound

Mission length to be announced in GC?

Post by QuestionAbound » 25 Mar 2019, 05:24

Twice now I have either seen or heard from somebody who said that a recent mission call told the prospective missionary that the length of his mission would be announced at the upcoming General conference.

Has anyone else heard the same?
Totally not trying to start rumors or debates. I’m just wondering if someone has actually seen that in print.

dande48

Re: Mission length to be announced in GC?

Post by dande48 » 25 Mar 2019, 05:56

Another welcomed change! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Unless they extend it...
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 25 Mar 2019, 07:05

It's a rumor.

A few conferences ago there were lots and lots of rumors about people receiving mission calls to unspecified locations and that the location would be revealed during general conference. But that never happened. This year it's an unspecified duration.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they did announce during general conference that they were shortening missions for men from 24 to 18 months, but if they did I think it would be unrelated to this particular rumor, more of a coincidence.

Call me a skeptic, but I think the part about kids receiving vague mission calls isn't true.

Given how things have happened in the past I'd expect that if the church had plans to shorten the length of a mission and have some big reveal during conference that they'd continue to send letters out with the 24 month time specified, then they'd do their big reveal during conference and tell everyone that it applied to calls that they have already extended, regardless of what the letter stated.

It fits the model of keeping things hush-hush and as secretive as possible. Plus I don't think leaders would engage in what amounts to baiting people into watching conference via official communication.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 25 Mar 2019, 11:10

This would be laughable - My husband was an 18 month missionary. We had those for 5 years or so in the 80's. The reasoning then was funding, gas shortages, etc. Now it's revelation. So God flips back and forth? 18 months, 24 months.

If missions get changed I think we should stop having proselyting missionaries. Only service missionaries. And real service. Dig in, get dirty. Etc.

The other rumors that are floating heavily are coffee out of the word of wisdom and wearing garments only to temple sessions. I don't think either will fly. No one expected the Seminary change. I am not holding my breath on any of the others.

One that I wish for, GC to be Sunday only. Or Saturday night session and one 2 hour Sunday session.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DoubtingTom

Post by DoubtingTom » 25 Mar 2019, 11:36

I’ve heard this rumor so many times and in so many forums, and in every case there is never any proof. In this day of social media, if calls like this were truly going out, there would be at least one photo posted on-line. Instead there are none. Not a single one. It’s always “my aunt’s friend knows someone in her ward who got a call like this.” Meanwhile other kids are still getting regular calls for 24 months and still posting the call on-line.

It’s a rumor - one that has caught fire is spreading rapidly. But never confirmed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if mission call lengths were changed to 18 months for everyone or if different service lengths were offered (6 mo, 12 mo, etc). But this rumor of mission calls where the length will be announced in GC I think is pure fabrication.

If I’m wrong and someone finally posts a picture of a call like this to prove it, I’ll happily eat my words.

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Mar 2019, 12:13

Doubting Tom says, "Pics or it didn't happen!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13