Our Own Hawkgrrl - A Book

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Our Own Hawkgrrl - A Book

Post by mom3 » 02 Mar 2019, 10:02

I will post this in reviews later,

Our own Hawkgrrl has a memoir out. If you love her pithy style, you will likely love this.

http://associationmormonletters.org/blo ... he-plunge/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Re: Our Own Hawkgrrl - A Book

Post by Roy » 05 Mar 2019, 09:48

I saw this over at BCC.
https://bycommonconsent.com/2019/02/18/ ... ot-or-two/
Go Hawk Go!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 Mar 2019, 14:35

mom3 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 10:02
I will post this in reviews later,

Our own Hawkgrrl has a memoir out. If you love her pithy style, you will likely love this.

http://associationmormonletters.org/blo ... he-plunge/
This is one of my favorite Mormon blogs now.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 06 Mar 2019, 10:13

Aw, thanks for the link! If any of you read it, please post a review on Amazon and Goodreads - it really helps with future sales. I will do a separate post with a few excerpts that tee up some StayLDS style discussions. The book really does have a lot of relevance to people here, IMO, even though it's a mission memoir and most of us are older than that now.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Mar 2019, 14:30

hawkgrrrl wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 10:13
Aw, thanks for the link! If any of you read it, please post a review on Amazon and Goodreads - it really helps with future sales. I will do a separate post with a few excerpts that tee up some StayLDS style discussions. The book really does have a lot of relevance to people here, IMO, even though it's a mission memoir and most of us are older than that now.
Have you ever been back to the Canaries, Hawkgrrrl? I think the last time I was there was nearly forty years ago. I remember them being very volcanic. I've spent more time in other parts of Spain.

One of the things I find odd is that Latin American missions have produced a large number of baptisms but Spain and Portugal themselves seem to have a very low rate.

Anyway, respect on getting your book out. I know we've discussed your mission here a bit before.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 06 Mar 2019, 14:48

Yes, been back a few times: 2005, 2010 and 2017. I love it there! If it were closer, we'd go every year since my husband and I both served there. Cruises of the islands are super cheap, too--off season on Pullmantur is like $500 each including drinks package and port charges for a seven night cruise hitting all but Hierro and Gomera (including Morocco too!). For me, it feels like going home to go there. I love the food, the geography, the people--all of it.

If it's been 40 years since you've been, you'd be surprised at how clean it is now. No more sidewalk vendors either. The roads are better, too, and they are universally friendly toward tourists. Crime is down. It's really great.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Mar 2019, 17:37

Cool! Unlike most remote island groups, they're pretty cheap to get to, because they are one of the main tourist spots for Europeans so quite easy to get flights or connecting flights.

I have been to a lot of countries, but I travel far less than I used to. Mainly for financial reasons I'm afraid.

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 13 Mar 2019, 09:21

Wow! That is so freakin' awesome! Congrats, Hawkgrrrl! :clap: :thumbup:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 13 Mar 2019, 18:09

I read this last week and loved it. It was so real. If anyone thinks that Elders are angelic, just read this. It was a great read.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 09 Apr 2019, 12:36

LookingHard wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 18:09
I read this last week and loved it. It was so real. If anyone thinks that Elders are angelic, just read this. It was a great read.
Aw thanks!