Mental Exercise

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Re: Mental Exercise

Post by SilentDawning » 05 Feb 2019, 09:07

Roy wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:38
IOW, I am currently soaking up the goodness that I find in the church and not worrying so much about truth claims.
That is may plan, although it's secondary to doing what is necessary to keeping my family intact.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 05 Feb 2019, 23:11

After decades of struggle, I have finally thrown in the towel on reconciling church history. To me it can’t be done. But that doesn’t make everything about the church bad or false. In fact, I read a quote recently that really resonated with me. It directed me to stop looking for answers and instead search for meaning. I find a great deal of meaning in my participation and associations in the church. I’m hoping that this pivot will allow me to continue with a certain level of engagement with the church. I hope to continue to attend regularly with my family and maintain the relationships that are important to me. I hope to continue to serve in the church in some capacity. I’m planning to try this on for a while and see how it fits.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Feb 2019, 10:23

Rumin, please share the quote with us!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 09 Feb 2019, 13:49

Sorry for the delay responding, Roy. I had to find where I had read that quote. It took me a minute.

The quote is: "Mature spirituality insists that we hold out for meaning instead of settling for mere answers."

There is much more to it. You can see it in it's full context here: https://cac.org/your-imaginarium-2015-09-28/. I admit that I don't know much about Richard Rohr, but from what I have seen, I'd like to learn more.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted