Rome Temple

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Rome Temple

Post by mom3 » 14 Jan 2019, 15:37

I have had mixed feelings about this temple. I am still not sure what I think in totality, but I am impressed with the effort to move outside of our traditional look and create something grander. The pictures are worth a gander. Enjoy.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/01 ... ints-open/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Re: Rome Temple

Post by SamBee » 14 Jan 2019, 15:57

DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Jan 2019, 15:59

DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 14 Jan 2019, 16:59

The complex looks really nice. I especially liked the design of Christ surrounded by the apostles in the visitor's center. My biggest complaint with temple design in general, is the golden Angel Moroni on top. I also don't know how I feel about the outward design of the temple, though the inside looks pretty. They are trying new things, which is GREAT, and maybe I'm just not used to it. I could see it growing on me.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

mom3

Post by mom3 » 14 Jan 2019, 18:35

I too like/love the Christ surrounded by the Apostles. So cool. Beyond that, I wish we had left the Versailles Temple and Rome Temple off the grid. I may change my mind, but I don't think so. I think we should put our little temples on ground that isn't historic to another country or religion. Don't get me started on "The Golden Guy."
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Jan 2019, 04:59

mom3 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 18:35
I too like/love the Christ surrounded by the Apostles. So cool. Beyond that, I wish we had left the Versailles Temple and Rome Temple off the grid. I may change my mind, but I don't think so. I think we should put our little temples on ground that isn't historic to another country or religion. Don't get me started on "The Golden Guy."
Pretty much everywhere in Europe is historic. In the case of Rome, I imagine there were plenty of "brownfield sites" around the city. If it replaced a shopping mall, factory or car lot then it was no great loss (I expect if anyone lost their jobs out of it, it would have been before the land was even purchased).

dande48

Post by dande48 » 15 Jan 2019, 09:33

mom3 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 18:35
I wish we had left the Versailles Temple and Rome Temple off the grid. I may change my mind, but I don't think so. I think we should put our little temples on ground that isn't historic to another country or religion.
We are very universalist in our religion. It's doctrine (or at least pseudo-doctrine) that most every religion had true origins, but apostatized later. So really, Rome has historical/religious significance for us too! Plus, there is the undying Christian prerogative to share the true gospel with the entire world, including other Christians who are "wrong". :P I think the Church specifically built the temple in Rome, not because of the needs of the membership (had friends who served there two years without a single baptism), but because we want to set the Catholics there straight! Are we offended at the incessant conversion attempts by other Christians? Don't we know it!

Do Christians butt heads? Yes they do.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 15 Jan 2019, 11:10

I love the temple and design. I have a bit of an inferiority complex though - and I usually get annoyed when I see the little guy get treated normally but the special guy treated, well special. Rome is special. Snowflake, AZ (home of a somewhat recent small temple) is not. Part of me is thrilled we built a beautiful building in Rome - it will be one of our more visible temples I suspect. On the other hand, will Christ me likely to visit Rome than Dallas because of the fancy building?

It's a nit pick and not totally fair because I don't want plain vanilla temples everywhere either. I do remember that the Gila Valley temple in Arizona was bragged about because it's the home of the Kimballs and the Eyrings and that location got special church permission for a 3 color scheme instead of the standard 2 color scheme for small temples. Rome looks like it was given an open check book.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 15 Jan 2019, 17:15

will Christ me likely to visit Rome than Dallas because of the fancy building?
I have always assumed he'd go to Provo first, cause it's the ugliest of them all. (IMO).

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 16 Jan 2019, 12:09

If RMN received a revelation that I should have a temple recommend, in spite of everything, the Rome temple would be on my shortlist of temples to visit. The top five would probably be, in no particular order, Rome, Provo (City Center), DC, SLC and Hawaii.

As for the Church building a temple in (the outskirts of) Rome, I don't see anything wrong with it. There are Catholic, Greek Orthodox and Protestant churches there, Mosques, Synagogues, Kingdom Halls, Buddhist Temples, and Hindu Temples. I'm sure the same thing could be said of Jerusalem and SLC as well, and I think we live in a better time because of it.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13