What should be ADDED to the WoW?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

What should be ADDED to the WoW?

Post by SamBee » 13 Jan 2019, 15:57

Taking this another way, is there anything you would add to the WoW?

My vote is for taurine. It's nasty stuff and found in many energy drinks. Red Bull might be good at sponsoring sporting events I like, but I would never touch it again.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Re: What should be ADDED to the WoW?

Post by dande48 » 13 Jan 2019, 17:02

Refined sugar. White sugar and corn syrup specifically.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Jan 2019, 17:20

As a commandment? Nothing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 13 Jan 2019, 17:53

I'm not in favor of adding anything to the WoW. While broad, it already covers what's good and bad for you (mostly what's good if you actually read it). And like Curt says, I'm not in favor of adding anything by way of commandment which is the current standing of the WoW.

Just as a side note, Elder Cook warned about adding to the WoW in a recent GC address.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 13 Jan 2019, 17:54

I would add a reminder that it has nothing to do with the purity of your soul, because it's the things that come out of your mouth that defile you, not the things you put into it.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 13 Jan 2019, 19:02

Nothing. Teach lessons on Sunday about healthy eating, exercise, and meditation for a healthier lifestyle.
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Jan 2019, 02:57

Reuben wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 17:54
I would add a reminder that it has nothing to do with the purity of your soul, because it's the things that come out of your mouth that defile you, not the things you put into it.
The things that come out of your mouth may be dependent on some of what goes in there. Certainly my experience with smokers and alcoholics. One of my friends is a nightmare if he can't get a cigarette sometimes. Try being stuck in a carpool when he gets his craving.

Additives in children's foods often lead to behavioral problems, probably adults too.
Last edited by SamBee on 14 Jan 2019, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Jan 2019, 03:00

dande48 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 17:02
Refined sugar. White sugar and corn syrup specifically.
We could definitely do with reducing/eliminating these. Corn syrup seems to be an American thing, few other countries use it much - maybe Canada? Either way it is a major factor in US obesity.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 14 Jan 2019, 06:44

FWIW, I think the Church could seriously do with a redefining of what "commandments" are. They are not an arbitrary command from God, that he will reward us for keeping or punish us for disobeying. They are not meant to divide us into camps of "worthy" and "unworthy". Virtue should be its own reward. But with our current "commandment" model, it fosters pride and shame.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I have serious doubts in JS or any modern prophet's ability to determine what is good for you and what is not (outside of the more obvious rules of life). But I figure, commandments should lead us to self improvement and happiness, and sin should detract from that. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 Jan 2019, 07:55

dande48 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 06:44
FWIW, I think the Church could seriously do with a redefining of what "commandments" are. They are not an arbitrary command from God, that he will reward us for keeping or punish us for disobeying. They are not meant to divide us into camps of "worthy" and "unworthy". Virtue should be its own reward. But with our current "commandment" model, it fosters pride and shame.

Maybe I'm just saying this because I have serious doubts in JS or any modern prophet's ability to determine what is good for you and what is not (outside of the more obvious rules of life). But I figure, commandments should lead us to self improvement and happiness, and sin should detract from that. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.
This I agree with. I don't think we need more commandments or rules, and I don't think we need to be or should be commanded in all things.

A few months ago the For the Strength of the Youth booklet came up in a family discussion with my now adult children. They each talked about how much they disliked that book and how they believe it's not helpful for youth simply because all it is is a bunch more rules. Who wants more rules when it's hard enough to keep the ones youth already have? I think it's a good point.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction