Two hour church experiences

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Heber13
Site Admin

Two hour church experiences

Post by Heber13 » 05 Jan 2019, 10:56

Who is ready for 2 hour church?

I'd love to hear others' experiences tomorrow and if it felt better or no different and what you all thought of it.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Re: Two hour church experiences

Post by nibbler » 05 Jan 2019, 13:07

To keep our SM at just an hour we're going to have to install a huge scoreboard somewhere the entire congregation can see it, set the timer on it to an hour, press the countdown button, and when the timer hits 0:00 this obnoxiously loud horn goes off, like at the end of a basketball game. :P
Heber13 wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 10:56
Who is ready for 2 hour church?
I guess I can do the experiment, go to church an hour longer than usual. Wait, I usually do SM... so about 35 minutes longer than usual. :P
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

dande48

Post by dande48 » 05 Jan 2019, 15:46

nibbler wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 13:07
I guess I can do the experiment, go to church an hour longer than usual.
Hahahaha! :lol:
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jan 2019, 12:40

Other than the rocket scientists in our ward who make such decisions as holding SS in the RS room when the RS room isn't big enough, all was well. I didn't really want to go to SS anyway, but apparently some people in my ward complained enough that next time it will be in the chapel. (If I decide to go I'll go in late enough that I will have missed the "invitation" to sit front and center.)

In all seriousness, I did enjoy getting home an hour early and having lunch closer to lunchtime.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 Jan 2019, 14:44

We win - 35 mins. Front to back. Power went out.

Best part of it was the guy at the mic was bearing his testimony. Strike that - he was inviting members to attend the temple and witness the "new" stuff. But of course, as an obedient member he isn't going to spill the beans. No spoilers from him. Just hinting that it is "revelatory". In the midst of his efforts, the lights go out. The mic goes out. It was epic.

He finished. Another woman who was waiting in line got to say her piece. Couldn't hear it because I was holding down the back row. Bishop closed the meeting.

We went home. 2nd Best Church Day EVER.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Jan 2019, 15:36

It was good.

Shorter Sac Mtg, including confirming two new adult converts who are good, sincere people who have overcome a lot in their lives. Good Sunday School lesson by an older woman, followed by a chance to clear up questions about how the home study lessons and the Sunday School lessons will interact.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Jan 2019, 18:01

Very odd. Many people today, including myself felt that everything was later than it was after church. For me it felt like the end of the block was an hour later than it was. We finished at 12:30, felt like 1:30. 1 pm felt like 2 and so on.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 06 Jan 2019, 18:54

I'm with Sam Bee. I thought it was later than it was when I got home.

I still have this nagging wish they cut Sacrament meeting to just the opening hymn, sacrament hymn, the sacrament, and then maybe one talk, or none at all, and end it. Then have the two other meetings for a total of 2 hours. The boredom of Sacrament meeting still gets to me.

Not to rain on everyone's parade; I do acknowledge their trying to make church more user friendly, believe me. But for me, it may well end up being 1 hour church from here on out.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

dande48

Post by dande48 » 06 Jan 2019, 19:28

SilentDawning wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 18:54
The boredom of Sacrament meeting still gets to me.

Not to rain on everyone's parade; I do acknowledge their trying to make church more user friendly, believe me. But for me, it may well end up being 1 hour church from here on out.
On the bright side, the current Church leadership is willing to change things up and try new things. I think they recognize for many people, SM and the rest can be less than effective. You can't change too much at once withhout upsetting the system. From what it looks like, they're changing one or two things, taking a step back, assessing the situation... and then making more changes. It's a good system they have going.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Arrakeen

Post by Arrakeen » 06 Jan 2019, 19:56

I like the two-hour block. Sunday school was still hard to get through, but knowing that church was over right after made it more bearable. I do like how we ended up with only 20 minutes in sacrament meeting for testimonies today, so there was a lot less awkward silence.