Gospel Doctrine Duscussion about Slut Shaming

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Gospel Doctrine Duscussion about Slut Shaming

Post by Old-Timer »

I have been teaching Gospel Doctrine for a couple of months as a temporary position. I love it.

Today the lesson covered Daniel and Esther. I highlighted the "liken the scriptures unto ourselves" verse (1 Nephi 19:23) and led a good discussion about how differently we would judge those two heros based on our current standards and doctrine- especially if Haman had not tried to kill the Jews.

It was a good discussion of slut shaming, even though we didn't use that phrase.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Re: Gospel Doctrine Duscussion about Slut Shaming

Post by Roy »

I would like to know more. How do Daniel and Esther relate to slut shaming?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

We all agreed we would judge Daniel to be a wonderful example of everything we hold dear.

However, when you remove the inspirational, religious element of saving her people from death (about which neither she nor Mordecai knew until after she had become queen), Esther's story would be judged VERY differently from the lens of orthodox, modern Mormon doctrine and culture.

Mordecai essentially pimped her out to the king to become, at least, a concubine (the fate of those not chosen to be queen) and, ideally, the queen. So, he sent her to the palace to be on the king's revolving sex partner list, one way or the other. The only difference would be her prestige and privilege. She prepared for a year for a one-time audition that included trying out sexually with the king. Each contestant spent an evening AND night with the king. We all are adults, as I said twice in the class, and we all know that means.

So, in summary, Mordecai set up his ward-cousin to have sex with the king in the hope that she would be chosen by him to be the new queen - after the former queen refused to attend a party to which she hadn't been invited and "strut her stuff" in front of the gathered dignitaries. Based on our modern cultural norms, Esther would have been seen as a money-grubbing, power-hungry whore who obeyed her money-grubbing, power-hungry cousin - right up until it became a story about courage and perhaps divine intervention in order to save the Jews.

We also talked about the fact that Mordecai didn't send Esther to the palace to be a missionary of any kind. He explicitly told her to hide her religion from everyone in order to have a shot at becoming the queen. Finally, we talked about how Vashti was removed from her position specifically so the other women in the kingdom wouldn't get all uppity and think they also could disobey their husbands (also stated explicitly in the story).

I told the class I love the story and I also hate it. The overall discussion was about why that is so.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl »

Yeah, a whole lot of our correlated materials rely on the correct assumption that the abysmal reading comprehension skills in our Gospel Doctrine classes are only surpassed by the complete unwillingness of class members to even read the material at all.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I had to include the chapters the lesson skipped (1 & 2) in order to provide the full cultural context and discuss slut shaming.

I am fine with the manual skipping those chapters, since the "profit and learning" the Sunday School organization wanted to emphasize was, "If I perish, I perish". However, I could emphasize that aspect AND emphasize, "We can be judgmental jerks when we apply our own standards to everyone," only by including those chapters.

I chose to teach BOTH the lesson's intended focus AND the other one I believed was important. Win-win, imo.