Ever get bored?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Ever get bored?

Post by SamBee » 25 Nov 2018, 14:08

Gerald wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 07:22
I am "halfway there" myself with three of my five children out of the house (but two remaining). I am pretty busy with my job and my adult children require more of my energy (not necessarily my time) than I anticipated. However, I still find myself with time on my hands and can be bored at times. I hope this doesn't sound pretentious but I've started reading through Shakespeare's plays and then listening to some YouTube lecturers talk about the play. It's been a nice way to pass some of my free time. I don't suggest that this is something for everyone but I find that improving my understanding of culture and (hopefully) my intellect makes me feel that I don't waste time but is somewhat enjoyable. That said, doing nothing is okay, too. Wandering aimlessly from activity to activity can have be useful in the long run.
Like the Bible, some parts are better than others. I have been reading the Canterbury Tales in the original language over the course of years. It's challenging but it's amazing how earthy it can get sometimes!

The language looks strange, but occasionally you get stuff like this:
"Right so ther lyvede never man," he seyde,
"In al this world, that som tyme he ne deyde.
This world nys but a thurghfare ful of wo,
And we been pilgrymes, passynge to and fro.
Deeth is an ende of every worldly soore"
Just so there never lived a man,’ he said,
‘In all the world but in the end was dead.
This world is but a thoroughfare of woe
And we are pilgrims passing to and fro.
Death is the end of every worldly sore,'”
Maybe not everyone's thing but a nerdy hobby for me.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Nov 2018, 17:33

dande48 wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 21:10
SilentDawning wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 10:51
Kind of like I'd like to take a year and give myself permission to do absolutely nothing.
Why don't you?
Because I feel that if I stop working something bad will happen - like I lose my job, my resume goes flat, or something like that. It's an irrational fear, I know. I just finished reading a book called Think Like Sherlock and they make the point that aimless mind wandering can be a precursor to really creative ideas.

I need to give myself permission. One thing I want to do is take 6 mos to 1 year OFF if I get let go from my job. With no job to lose I think it will be easier to do nothing...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

dande48

Post by dande48 » 25 Nov 2018, 20:25

SilentDawning wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:33
I need to give myself permission. One thing I want to do is take 6 mos to 1 year OFF if I get let go from my job. With no job to lose I think it will be easier to do nothing...
I wasn't talking about quitting your job... unless you really hate it. I think it's good to "keep working", even if for no other reason than bringing in more money. Money isn't everything, but there's a lot of good you can do with it, and it helps keep options open.

Not sure what age you're at, what job you do, or how close you are to retirement. It might be worth looking for a new job, or downgrading to contract work.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 29 Nov 2018, 09:06

dande48 wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 20:25
SilentDawning wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:33
I wasn't talking about quitting your job... unless you really hate it. I think it's good to "keep working", even if for no other reason than bringing in more money. Money isn't everything, but there's a lot of good you can do with it, and it helps keep options open.

Not sure what age you're at, what job you do, or how close you are to retirement. It might be worth looking for a new job, or downgrading to contract work.
10 years from retirement, same job for 25 years, recently "promoted" and already it feels routine, value money a lot and want to retire with freedom from family and freedom to do as I please....

Boredom has kind of passed, but I feel this need to NOT push myself like I used to. To say "no" to things and make sure I get my daily dose of FBI and Crime Scene documentaries in every day for now. That's really opening my eyes about how vulnerable innocent people can be to imprisonment and wrongful conviction, but that's another story.

Not as interested in service anymore -- I always found it hard in the church, but will do it when I have a passion for it -- for the time being.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young