Ever get bored?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Ever get bored?

Post by SilentDawning » 20 Nov 2018, 10:36

I got ahead in my work last weekend. First time in a year. I had an open expanse of time to do whatever I wanted -- which is unusual.

I found myself incredibly BORED. Realized I'd achieved all my life's goals. Children almost grown up, with one at home that essentially wants nothing to do with his Dad. Not in a mean way, just indifferent, being a teenager. Hobbies -- done a lot of them, and enjoyed myself. I still like them, but felt uninterested. Tried driving around, but that was boring, as was going to a restaurant. Community service projects -- lost interest. They take a lot of discipline and are littered with setbacks all the time. Felt a fatigued on that for now. Church, well, see the post on benefits earlier today...it's a balancing act for me, and not a source of fulfillment.

The job is going well, but I've experienced most of what it has to offer.

Has this ever happened to you -- just feel plain bored with life? How do you spruce it up again? What keeps life both physically and spiritually interesting?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Roy

Re: Ever get bored?

Post by Roy » 20 Nov 2018, 13:10

Congratulations SD! You have arrived!

DW and I channel so much of our energies into raising the kids. It will be interesting to see what occupies our time when they are gone.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 20 Nov 2018, 15:20

Yes, sometimes. I have a teenager at home who we have a good relationship with but he's so busy we almost never see him. Two daughters in college who are super busy also.

Church generally keeps me busy but there are times when the extra time is boring. One thing that I've been focusing on recently is physical activity. Not everyone enjoys it (my wife is a great example) but over the past 6 years I've become more and more physically fit. I'm in my mid 40s and I'm probably healthier now than I was in my 20s - and it's fun. Perhaps you can find an activity that challenges you and which you enjoy. I cycle with a local group and have made a bunch of friends that way, and there is always an informal competition on the rides. I did my first triathlon this year, and facing your demons in the open water was a rush and scary as hell. But it can be anything - golf, tennis, running, boxing, hiking, pickleball.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 20 Nov 2018, 19:34

I am wondering if I'm just burned out.

@roy -- how have I arrived? Not sure of what you mean by that (not in a bad way, just don't understand it). I have never been bored in my life until this point. Always interesting things to do!

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Roy

Post by Roy » 21 Nov 2018, 09:40

What I mean is that my life right now seems like a marathon to get my children raised and into productive - well rounded adults.

You are pretty much at my stated destination and wondering what to do now that your life goals are checked off.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Nov 2018, 10:51

Roy wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 09:40
What I mean is that my life right now seems like a marathon to get my children raised and into productive - well rounded adults.

You are pretty much at my stated destination and wondering what to do now that your life goals are checked off.
Got it, and until recently I was able to pursue a lot of things people can only do in retirement. So, I feel a bit lost. And worn out. I've done a lot. Kind of like I'd like to take a year and give myself permission to do absolutely nothing.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Nov 2018, 16:34

Try a completely leftfield hobby, something unlike your others.

I have done a few other different things. One year I decided to be a tourist in my own city. Visited all the museums and sights over an extended period of time. Tried to view it like I would if I was visiting somewhere else.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 24 Nov 2018, 21:02

My kids are completely grown with wives & kids of their own. I marvel how fast the time has gone.
The exciting thing is to watch my children as husbands & fathers raising children of their own.
They have done a much better job of it than I have.

The issue I never anticipated is having children come to me as adults and asking for help or advice.
For some reason, I never did that with my parents. For that reason it doesn't get boring.

When I was working, there were times when the workload slowed down & I would easily get bored.
It was moments like that where I could create my own projects or analyze problems in a different way.
I do not like being bored.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 24 Nov 2018, 21:10

SilentDawning wrote:
21 Nov 2018, 10:51
Kind of like I'd like to take a year and give myself permission to do absolutely nothing.
Why don't you?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 25 Nov 2018, 07:22

I am "halfway there" myself with three of my five children out of the house (but two remaining). I am pretty busy with my job and my adult children require more of my energy (not necessarily my time) than I anticipated. However, I still find myself with time on my hands and can be bored at times. I hope this doesn't sound pretentious but I've started reading through Shakespeare's plays and then listening to some YouTube lecturers talk about the play. It's been a nice way to pass some of my free time. I don't suggest that this is something for everyone but I find that improving my understanding of culture and (hopefully) my intellect makes me feel that I don't waste time but is somewhat enjoyable. That said, doing nothing is okay, too. Wandering aimlessly from activity to activity can have be useful in the long run.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---