I'm going to jail!

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: I'm going to jail!

Post by SamBee » 01 Oct 2019, 05:37

Katzpur wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:03
Minyan Man wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:31
I love your posts Katzpur. You make me wish I were in jail to hear your message.
I never thought I would say that.
Awww, that's so nice of you. But I'm seriously glad you're NOT there to hear my message! ;)
I have friends, one LDS, one not, who help run the AA meeting in our local jail. I also have acquaintances who have spent time behind bars. One of them told me recently that he hated Facebook's spyware, because it keep suggesting his former internees as friends. :lol: Not because he hates them, but because he's trying to be a businessman these days and he wants to keep his FB acct looking respectable. I did find that funny. (Facebook's spyware is also suggesting AA colleagues as "friends'' too)

One day I intend to try and write crime fiction. In order to do so, I'm going to have to speak to more actual crims, or people who know crims. My experience of that world is pretty low level, thank God, but I could see an alternative universe in which I would be much deeper into it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 20 Dec 2019, 08:04

I just wanted to post this AMAZING video that we showed to our Sunday School class at the jail last Sunday: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/ins ... t=RF9ZbZ4J. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room by the time it ended, and one of the inmates said to me, "If you can cry in front of twelve men, so can I!" What really struck me about the video was how accurately it mirrored the overall experience we're having at the jail.

I don't know where I'd be today without this calling. If not inactive, I'd be the most miserable person in the congregation each Sunday.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

mom3

Post by mom3 » 20 Dec 2019, 09:14

Katzpur - thank you - I work with the homeless community in my area. A number of the women and families have spouses, dads, who are serving time. I can't go into details but this piece mirrors so many of their wishful conversations.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 20 Dec 2019, 09:51

I was thinking about you today. I'm glad life is going well for you. What an interesting & inspirational calling you have.
I'm going to send the link to my friends & family. Thank you.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Dec 2019, 12:23

Thanks for sharing.

I don't talk much on here about what I do. I work with incarcerated youth. This is my third Christmas at this facility, but the kids are all different because we have them for less than a year (minor crimes). But only the names and faces are different. It's really tough for them being away from their families and even though most of them really haven't had the greatest of Christmas memories you can see and feel their hurt. They are not permitted any gifts. We do activities with them this time of year, mostly Christmas crafts like gingerbread houses and decorating stockings. Despite all the other hard exterior gangsta attitude we see every day, we can see the little kid in them as they participate in the activities (often for the first time in their lives). Unfortunately as employees we can't share religion with them. But I think I can see what our Heavenly Parents see in us.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 20 Dec 2019, 13:08

DarkJedi wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 12:23
Thanks for sharing.

I don't talk much on here about what I do. I work with incarcerated youth. This is my third Christmas at this facility, but the kids are all different because we have them for less than a year (minor crimes). But only the names and faces are different. It's really tough for them being away from their families and even though most of them really haven't had the greatest of Christmas memories you can see and feel their hurt. They are not permitted any gifts. We do activities with them this time of year, mostly Christmas crafts like gingerbread houses and decorating stockings. Despite all the other hard exterior gangsta attitude we see every day, we can see the little kid in them as they participate in the activities (often for the first time in their lives). Unfortunately as employees we can't share religion with them. But I think I can see what our Heavenly Parents see in us.
Wow! I had no idea what it was you do. That is amazing. No wonder you can relate to my calling.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 20 Dec 2019, 21:47

I think it was David O McKay who said:
The purpose of the gospel is to make bad men good and good men better.
This certainly is a big part of your calling and the message of the video.
I watched it several times today & shared it with my friends & family.
Thanks again.

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 21 Dec 2019, 08:57

Minyan Man wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 21:47
I think it was David O McKay who said:
The purpose of the gospel is to make bad men good and good men better.
This certainly is a big part of your calling and the message of the video.
I watched it several times today & shared it with my friends & family.
Thanks again.
I'm so glad you watched it! And I'm really glad you liked it and shared it! Merry Christmas!

Roy

Post by Roy » 22 Dec 2019, 13:58

I loved the video and I will share it with my family tonight. Thank you so very much.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Dec 2019, 14:31

Thank you.

I work in a prison and attended a funeral and a memorial service last week for a colleague who died unexpectedly. The traditional funeral service at a local church was good, but the memorial service had a different, extremely special spirit - as prisoners stood and paid tribute to her.

My colleague chose to work in a mental hospital and then a prison. The people she served experienced God / Jesus in a very real way. She chose his ministry as her own.

God bless you for what you are doing. In a real way, you are helping further His central mission of freeing the captives from their chains.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken