The Value of Accumulating Luxuries

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

The Value of Accumulating Luxuries

Post by SilentDawning » 14 Oct 2018, 11:12

I want to comment on frugality and accumulating luxuries, a spinoff from another thread. While I think it would better to just be frugal and give to the poor, accumulating luxuries does serve a purpose. And hear me out before you reject this.

For a while there, I used my earnings from a hobby to buy luxuries related to the hobby. The packages came weekly or biweekly, sometimes more frequently if small and inexpensive. And I really enjoyed the "getting". After a while, the house became cluttered. I got sick of getting rid of packaging. Some of the items broke and incurred repair expenses I hated. I found many items went unused. The act of accumulating became tiresome.

Guess what -- I'm all luxuried out. Now, the cost wasn't anywhere near the cost of a Lamborghini -- the costs of the luxuries were relatively minor as a percent of annual income. But I have little desire to accumulate luxuries. Occasionally, I get an itch when I see something beautiful, but then I think of the space it will take up, the hassle in getting rid of the box, the cost and hassle of eventually selling it when the novelty wears off...etcetera.

I'm done. And I'm truly convinced the luxuries don't provide lasting happiness. Not simply believing what I'm told on faith, but truly knowing it.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Re: The Value of Accumulating Luxuries

Post by SamBee » 14 Oct 2018, 13:36

Money makes you comfortable not happy. That's the distinction many people can't make.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 14 Oct 2018, 17:45

SamBee wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 13:36
Money makes you comfortable not happy. That's the distinction many people can't make.
And I think that principle is easy to internalize when you have money to to make you comfortable -- and then learn you're no happier than when you were poor.

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 15 Oct 2018, 08:15

If I understand you right:
The value of accumulating luxuries, is in realizing that luxuries have no inherent value.
That's an interesting insight. I'd like to extend it a little further:
The value of making mistakes, is realizing they are mistakes.
... and therefore we shouldn't look down on ourselves or others for the mistakes we make.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 15 Oct 2018, 08:35

dande48 wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 08:15
If I understand you right:
The value of accumulating luxuries, is in realizing that luxuries have no inherent value.
That's an interesting insight. I'd like to extend it a little further:
The value of making mistakes, is realizing they are mistakes.
... and therefore we shouldn't look down on ourselves or others for the mistakes we make.
I don't necessarily consider it a mistake though. It's part of experiencing life. I don't regret the accumulation and the hollow joy that ensues -- now, if it hurled me into bankruptcy, yeah, I would consider it a mistake. But with the limited spend and therefore limited consequences, have little to regret and am glad I had the experience.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 15 Oct 2018, 10:44

I've always thought it would be interesting to accumulate wealth in the first part of your life & spend the last half
giving it away to worthy causes or trying to solve problems in the world. Similar to the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 15 Oct 2018, 11:38

Minyan Man wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 10:44
I've always thought it would be interesting to accumulate wealth in the first part of your life & spend the last half
giving it away to worthy causes or trying to solve problems in the world. Similar to the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation.
I've always thought this sort of philanthropy to be a bit odd. Not talking about the Gates specifically, but it seems many business leaders spend their life making less-than-ethical business choices to "get ahead", whether it's polluting the environment, over working/under-compensating employees, price gouging, lobbying... and amass all this wealth, just to spend it all the rest of their lives on good causes. On the one hand, I'm grateful for their generous contributions. I also understand that there's a lot more recognition from opening up a hospital ward or museum, than giving your ground workers a livable salary. But I'd much rather hear of someone who has spent a lifetime doing good and helping those they can, than someone who has done everything they can to amass enormous wealth, and then expend it at the end of their lives, in one grand display of generosity.

I mean, it seems backwards the dastardly environments factory workers must work in, compared to the beauty and refinement of most museums. Some people spend most of their lives slaving away in those factories. (A little off topic. Hope that's ok.)
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 15 Oct 2018, 17:05

I worked in a factory nights while going to college days. It was a GM's plant & most of our town worked there directly or indirectly.
The plant is closed now. The community went through a big adjustment but they did survive. While working on the assembly line, I could
do my homework for the following day. All pay & benefits were superior to any other company in the area. When I finally got my degree
in accounting, I had to take a cut in pay to get my first accounting job. (That is the end of my commercial message.)

The thought came to me: the middle class in the US would be considered rich compared to someone living in a poor country.
I'm sure the definity of luxury & necessity are drastically different. Then we read in the KJV:
Mark 10:25
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 Oct 2018, 09:48

I find that my family enjoys accumulating stuff. Because of my frugal heart I encourage this accumulation through less expensive means on the post consumer market (yard sales, classifieds, ebay, etc.) For the first half of our marriage we were moving about every 3 years and this provided incentive to have a purge of furniture and other items. We have now lived in our current location for 7 years and we are definitely noticing that our home is running low on space. Maybe it is time for our own post consumer marketplace. ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 17 Oct 2018, 16:40

Roy wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 09:48
I find that my family enjoys accumulating stuff. Because of my frugal heart I encourage this accumulation through less expensive means on the post consumer market (yard sales, classifieds, ebay, etc.) For the first half of our marriage we were moving about every 3 years and this provided incentive to have a purge of furniture and other items. We have now lived in our current location for 7 years and we are definitely noticing that our home is running low on space. Maybe it is time for our own post consumer marketplace. ;)
I learned today I'm still not "fixed" from wanting luxuries. Darn it. But my desire is far less though -- so there is still some value.

Anyway, there is an EXCELLENT book on clutter and how to get rid of it.

It is here -- the author recommends getting all the items you have of the same category in one place, and then handling each one asking "Does this bring me joy?". If it does, then keep it, if not toss, recycle or sell it, with a preference for tossing.

You end up loving everything around you as a result. I have tried it and it make sit easy to get rid of things. Start with books, then clothing, and then other stuff, with memorabilia dead last. This is because the hardest stuff to get rid of, apparently, is memorabilia.

SD