The Church to match box office sales ...

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
QuestionAbound

The Church to match box office sales ...

Post by QuestionAbound » 11 Oct 2018, 12:16

https://www.ldsdaily.com/entertainment/ ... -donation/

This just feels so off to me.

I’m not sure why… But this feels like a political move…

Am I the only one?

Heber13

Re: The Church to match box office sales ...

Post by Heber13 » 11 Oct 2018, 12:28

Hm. Interesting.

What I like:
- They are doing more than just giving lip service to a cause that is hard to take serious when we've had racist history problems...they are actually using sacred church funds. That is a positive, to me.

My skepticism is they try to pull a story out of the past with Emma and a black woman to try to show ..."See...we're not racist after all!"

If that is all it is...then perhaps i worry too that this is off just a bit, and confusing.

But...working with the NAACP in Utah is a show of earnest effort. Perhaps we are not comfortable with our past, but our actions today can hopefully shape a better future? Perhaps?

Here is what they said back in July:
Church President Russell M. Nelson stated in May that the two groups [Church and NAACP] would “explore ways — such as education and humanitarian service — in which our respective members and others can serve and move forward together, lifting our brothers and sisters who need our help, just as the Savior, Jesus Christ, would do.”

“I was definitely one of those folks wondering why are we going to Utah,” said Karen Boykins-Towns, vice-chair of the NAACP board of directors. “Our visit and our meeting [were] surprisingly impactful and groundbreaking. And despite our reservations, we left that historic meeting with a better understanding of each other’s history and the desire to acknowledge the past and move forward to work together for the common good.”
Leon W. Russell, chairman of the NAACP board of directors, spoke at Sunday’s mass meeting and introduced Elder Gerard.

Russell said the NAACP’s relationship with the Church is still developing as they share common ground with the Church on the issues of equality, human rights and civility. “It’s not about theology; it’s not about philosophy. It’s about helping people. I’m very happy that we are going to work on those elements.”
I guess some of that background to this effort to support a film is worth noting.

What do you think, QA? Are they sincerely trying? Or playing defense still? Or is it politically charged?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Roy

Post by Roy » 11 Oct 2018, 13:13

Good question. Is the church trying to increase ticket sales? People may feel like they are treating the family to a movie and donating to charity at the same time.

Why would the church care about ticket sales?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 Oct 2018, 13:28

I wonder if members of the church in those areas are being pressured to go buy tickets and support it
(I don't like when they do that)
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Oct 2018, 13:51

I like almost anything that supports a good cause, and I have heard wonderful things from friends I trust about this movie.

I think the Church sincerely is trying to create better race relationships. I am okay with this.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dande48

Post by dande48 » 11 Oct 2018, 20:02

The Church really seems like it's trying to kill off it's spotty past; partly through reimaging it, partly through rebranding. It feels dishonest... but I wonder if in the long run it isn't a good thing? Either way, just about everyone has done it. America is nothing like it back in Joseph Smith's time. Neither is England. Germany went itself from one of the worst countries of all time less than 70 years ago, and now it's a pretty awesome place. Most all history books lie, and I think people would rather belong to a country they can feel proud, rather than ashamed of.

On the one hand, it isn't truthful. It can lead people to have greater trust in an organization than they probably should. But it is a better organization than it once was, and gives people a sense of belonging and inspiration. It's not a system I am happy with or fully agree with. But I can accept it, I think.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Oct 2018, 07:34

Repentance is repentance, and in this case I believe the Church truly is trying to change. I am not going to knock anybody for trying to change positively from their past.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Oct 2018, 07:39

Curt Sunshine wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 07:34
Repentance is repentance, and in this case I believe the Church truly is trying to change. I am not going to knock anybody for trying to change positively from their past.
I'm with you on this one Curt. Repentance (change) is a process, not an event. I do think the church is truly making an effort at changing (repenting of) several things - but it's a process in all cases. This is just another small step in the process.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Oct 2018, 08:46

I have been ruminating on this over night. It might be a smart marketing strategy.

1) the church makes a charitable donation that produces good works.
2) the church encourages people to see a movie that helps support (at least tangentially) church goals.
3) Rather than just do a one time donation, the church has created an event of sorts with the potential to generate positive publicity at the beginning, middle, and end.
4) Each time this is reported on it will draw attention to the movie. The movie, like most limited release movies, must fight for awareness of the movie going public that it exists.
5) As I mentioned earlier, people that go to the movie get to feel good and charitable since the church is "matching" the ticket price as a donation.

This is pure speculation on my part (since I do not have any inside connections), but it certainly has the potential to be a WIN-WIN-WIN scenario
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 Oct 2018, 09:00

It might be "repentance", but it's a different brand of repentance than they teach over the pulpit. It's like when a man becomes afraid his wife is going to find out about an affair from a few years prior. He brings her flowers, does the dishes, and steps up his "husband" game, so she won't believe it. Yes, he's resolving to be a better husband. Yes, he's doing good. Yes, he's looking forward, leaving the past behind, and the incident probably won't happen again. And maybe he doesn't want his wife to believe it, partly out of concern for her emotional well-being.

But he still did a scummy thing, and shouldn't blame his wife when she doesn't trust him.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket