Two Hour Church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Two Hour Church

Post by SilentDawning »

And so -- the rumors are true. It was announced that we are moving to two hour church in January. One hour of Sacrament meeting followed by 10 minutes of movement between meetings, followed by a second meeting, and that's it (you can have meet and greets etcetera afterwards). The second meeting alternates between Sunday School and PH/RS. 5th Sunday is the Bishop's call. The reduced time allows for personal study, and there is an individual/family curriculum for study in the home being published.

1. What do you think of this?
2. Do you think that members in general will use the extra hour for personal study every Sunday?
3. Do you think two hour church is simply a way of maximizing the use of our buildings by fitting more wards into the same building on Sunday?
4. Or do you think this truly helps move the balance more toward helping individuals and families?
5. Overall, what do you think of this change?

I will say this -- my wife teared up and did a happy dance all over the living room when it was announced. As a nursery leader, two hours is really hard on her. She is SO happy.

I personally wish they had kept PH and RS (maybe a bit shorter), and cut out everything but the sacrament for Sacrament meeting for a 2 hour experience.
Last edited by SilentDawning on 06 Oct 2018, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
Minyan Man

Re: Two Hour Church

Post by Minyan Man »

I wonder if there a practical reason for this change too.
Now we can have (3) wards in the same building.
This way we can build fewer chapels & better utilize the space.
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

Minyan Man wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:56 I wonder if there a practical reason for this change too.
Now we can have (3) wards in the same building.
This way we can build fewer chapels & better utilize the space.
That's what I think. They framed it as a last days thing, with more responsibility placed on the individual for their own salvation, but practically, I think it's motivated partly by practical/financial considerations. I also think that the accompanying practical benefits (fewer meeting houses, that are largely underutilized most of the week) would make this spiritual change/easing up on the members more convincing to the higher ups.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

SilentDawning wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:43 What do you think of this? Do you think that members in general will use the extra hour for personal study every Sunday? Do you think two hour church is simply a way of maximizing the use of our buildings by fitting more wards into the same building on Sunday? Or do you think this truly helps move the balance more toward helping individuals and families? Overall, what do you think of this change?
1. Love it.
2. Some will use the hour to study, most probably won't. (I probably won't study any more than I already do.)
3. Could be, not an issue where I live because wards are so far apart. Could help in Utah where buildings seem to be on every other block.
4. I think it could and will for the more orthodox. Maybe for the less orthodox.
5. Love it.

FWIW, I did not tear up but I did do a happy dance.

And I think SS is a sacred cow and this is a compromise of sorts. Can't shake the boat too much for the Old Guard. But I'm fine with it, partly because it's now easier to make it even a one hour block.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

One problem it creates for me is that I had my own two hour church going. I felt SS and PH were the best meetings. So, now do I go down to 1 hour church? I never really liked sitting through Sacrament meeting. Those two hours were good for my son when he went, too.

Two hour church is nice, but it means trading one tolerable hour for an intolerable one.

Anyway, it's still a good thing. I have a feeling I'll be on the one hour church plan. Much better.

Gerald

Post by Gerald »

I am probably in the minority but I actually felt a little sad about the change. However upon reflection I realized that what I would miss was Sunday School each Sunday. If they had eliminated the priesthood meeting, I wouldn’t have minded. I have never felt that meeting to be as enjoyable. But I kinda like Sunday School. Yeah, it’s boring sometimes and weird at other times but I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Nothing was said about the impact to Primary. My wife feels a little disappointed.
She feels that they didn't have enough time the way it was. I always avoided 2nd hour
Sunday School by doing Family History training. Now that's gone.

I'm sure we'll adapt.
dande48

Post by dande48 »

My wife was super excited as well. Our daughter does not do great with three hours of Church.
SilentDawning wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:43 1. What do you think of this?
2. Do you think that members in general will use the extra hour for personal study every Sunday?
3. Do you think two hour church is simply a way of maximizing the use of our buildings by fitting more wards into the same building on Sunday?
4. Or do you think this truly helps move the balance more toward helping individuals and families?
5. Overall, what do you think of this change?
1. I think Church just got 33% easier for me.
2. Probably not. If they're the type to use the extra hour for personal study, they probably already do it anyways.
3. I think that's too cynical. TBH, I think it's in order to increase activity and retention. 2 hours is a lot more manageable than 3, and with a church emphasizing strict obedience, many people feel they have to be all in or all out. I just became easier to be all in.
4. I don't know, but I hope so!
5. In the second session, when sustaining Church leaders, my wife noted she didn't hear any opposed. I think this is why.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

dande48 wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 13:55 5. In the second session, when sustaining Church leaders, my wife noted she didn't hear any opposed. I think this is why.
:lol:
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 »

I am happy it changed and perhaps the alternating schedule is a compromise to all callings and groups so people keep callings they have and will be an interim change until they decide to change the curriculum to fit the meetings.

They can pilot this change for a while and see what is working and what is not and then make a slight change again to adjust and make it practical.

My first reaction is I feel it makes easier on families and it is good they care about that.

For me, I think it also makes it easier to pick some weeks I want to skip out after SM. A little more freedom since class won't be the same and priesthood won't be each week....a little easier to hide for me I think.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."