Supposed Blizzard of Changes coming at General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Supposed Blizzard of Changes coming at General Conference

Post by SilentDawning »

My wife, who is pretty TBM, keeps coming at me with online posts that seem to suggest multiple GA's in different contexts have alluded to bigger than average changes supposedly coming next Conference -- even compared to last session. There is speculation, but here are a few on her short list...

1. 2 hour block.
2. Separation of civil and temple marriage in North America.
3. Change of Name for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
4. Deletion of PEC meeting.
5. Expanded leadership opportunities for women
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
SamBee

Re: Supposed Blizzard of Changes coming at General Conference

Post by SamBee »

Changing the name of MoTab is daft... name recognition....

2 - can't see it.
1 - Maybe but this is rumour.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

I think the rumors are a reflection of a few things.

1) Members are starved for change. Church maintained the status quo for a very long time, right down to keeping the same Sunday School manuals and the same format for PH/RS for nearly 20 years. Church became rote and boring.

2) Last conference showed people that the church can change, even if it's a simple palette swap.

Now there's an environment of anticipation that there could be changes to things that members have been waiting decades to see.

- - - - -

Taking the rumors one at a time:

1) 2 hour block - I can fully understand why members have willed this rumor into existence. If not true there will be lots of disappointed people.

I've also heard rumors that Elder Bednar squashed this rumor. Rumors on top of rumors! Interesting that people picked Bednar to be the deliverer of "bad" news.

Time will tell. Until then, keep attending as much church as you need. You don't have to wait for permission.

2) Separation of civil and temple marriage in North America - I know they already do this in some countries but if they did it in North America they would probably go ahead and do this church-wide.

Speculation: Fears of being compelled to perform gay marriages (not just in the USA). If they get out ahead of things they can put themselves in a position where marriages and sealings are discrete events. A bishop could perform a gay marriage to comply with whatever law but not be in the position to be obligated to perform gay sealings. I'll shoot a hole through that... we're already performing marriages that are separate from sealings.

This one feels like a variant to the long time rumor of removing the 1 year penalty. I feels like I hear that rumor every March/September.

3) Change of Name for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - maybe, but I agree with Sam, name recognition. It feels more like a retelling of the joke that circulated shortly after the presser where we got our Gs in a twist over being called Mormons.

4) Deletion of PEC meeting - didn't they already do that?

5) Expanded leadership opportunities for women - boy, I hope so. Sunday School presidencies. Ward clerks. You name it.

- - - - -

Adding to the pile of other rumors I've heard:
6) Giving youth the option to serve a proselyting mission or a service mission and allowing them to determine how long their mission will last; 6 months, 1 year, 18 months, 2 years, etc.

7) You better make sure your testimony is in order because you're about to be tested. I don't take this one seriously at all. It's just human nature poking through.

8) An extension to #7. Many will apostatize because of what will be said, they will be hitting the theme of follow the prophet, choose you this day whom ye will serve, because whatever is said will test you. Aside from hitting the theme of follow the prophet real hard (it is general conference after all ;) ) I don't see this happening.

All rumors are meant to build up hype to get people to burn an entire weekend watching meetings. It's hard to motivate members to do that, but if there's a hint of meat being thrown in the water (something, anything different, please, please, PLEASE, I'm so bored) then more people will tune in.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Nelson has been rolling out the revelations pretty quickly. He seems to be taking the role of "prophet" very seriously and literally. It could be a good thing, but no matter what happens I'm sure it's bound to be pretty different.

Changing MoTab to TCOJCOL-DSTab, doesn't seem reasonable. Seriously, typing that out was painful! I have no doubt Nelson is going to bring up the name of the Church in GC, but I hope he doesn't double down and try to change the choir's name.

Everything else seems very reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised, if women get officially extended the priesthood this conference. My guess is it'll take less than 5 years tops. I still don't think they'll have lady-bishops for a while, because... keys and traditions and stuff. But I can't see #2 happening. It's too... irrelevant to most of the membership, and the temple is too important.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

All of these possible changes seem reasonable to me. PEC is pretty redundant now that we have Ward Council as the main decision-making body. Changing the name of MoTab is reasonable given the emphasis on not calling ourselves Mormons. Expanded leadership for women --- possible into areas that aren't considered hard core priesthood responsibilities (no offence meant by that statement -- I'm taking the perspective of an orthodox GA). The separation of marriages seems prudent given all the emphasis on gay marriage. Plus it's just plain WRONG to disadvantage people with non-mem family that way -- particularly when it's done in other places around the world.

My wife indicated that the 2 hour block is being tested in places already -- people on social media are saying it's happening in their wards.

There could be new missions opened up as well.

Who knows, it's rumour and speculation. I wondered if I should even bother to post this thread since rumor is supposed to be a bad thing.

But I agree with Nibbler -- people are STARVED for change. I know I am. I want a kinder, gentler church that seems to care as much about its members as it does itself (it's coffers, it's own organizational interests, saving face). And I'm just sick of how boring and the same it is all the time!!

The new changes to EQ have really helped mix it up.

The prophet is in his 90's so I have wondered if he's really interested in making some rapid changes so he doesn't pass on without having had an impact, kind of like Howard W Hunter did.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

nibbler wrote: 8) An extension to #7. Many will apostatize because of what will be said, they will be hitting the theme of follow the prophet, choose you this day whom ye will serve, because whatever is said will test you. Aside from hitting the theme of follow the prophet real hard (it is general conference after all ;) ) I don't see this happening.
I don't see this happening on a large scale. The church is VERY protective of its membership. They like to see the membership numbers growth rate increasing just like large companies like to see their stock price growing. I don't think there will ever be policies meant to purge us, although I do think we have seen some people leave voluntarily over the November policy. If there are massive exodii, it would be a result of the leaders being out of touch with the membership.

If it was intentional, and announced that way, it would be evidence this whole thing is more true than I figured. Organizational interests drive the bus in our religion. If you accept the premise that no one really knows when the second coming will happen, I can't see leaders enacting policies that would cause major bloodletting. No way.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

I was just talking to my son who lives in Utah the other day and he mentioned the "last conference was a snowflake in the blizzard" idea he'd heard. However, he didn't have any speculations except the block thing which has says comes around every conference lately.

I'd love a two hour block and see multiple ways it could happen, some of which include shortening SM. Eliminating or reducing SS is another way to shorten things, and it appears there is an as yet unknown reason new curricula are not going to be released until after GC - so there is a possibility there. The YSA branch in my stake goes to bare bones in the summer when the kids go home from our major university. With approval from on high they have only met for two hours during the summer months for the last two years. They alternate PH/RS and SS second hour.

I'd also love the separation of civil marriage and sealing. I think the church may eventually get out of the marriage business completely, and only do sealings. That protects the church from ever being forced to do gay marriage, even though I believe churches being forced to do gay marriages is a red herring in the "religious freedom" issue.

Don't care about the name of the choir. They probably should have changed the name long ago.

PEC was formally done away with last conference, in practice some places did away with it or greatly reduced it months or even years ago.

I'd love to see expanded leadership roles for women, but unless they're willing to slay some sacred cows (no pun intended) I don't see where or how. Perhaps allowing women in SS presidencies or as WML?

I'd also love having options as far as missions, including time options similar to how it's already done with senior couples. I'd also like to see loosening of the archaic and Machiavellian rules.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

My brother in law who lives about 1 mile from Temple Square said the same thing: lots of changes coming. He also told me that 2 years ago.

Unfortunately count me among the doubting. There may be one or two things that improve on the margins, but with the whole name change thing a few weeks ago, that's the sort of changes I expect to be announced.

I would love to be wrong.
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

SilentDawning wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 08:47 If it was intentional, and announced that way, it would be evidence this whole thing is more true than I figured. Organizational interests drive the bus in our religion. If you accept the premise that no one really knows when the second coming will happen, I can't see leaders enacting policies that would cause major bloodletting. No way.
You reminded me of yet another rumor I've seen. That this conference will focus a lot on the Second Coming. Happening soon, mark it on your calendars, sort of rumors.

File that one with the others that I don't see happening. That's when red flags should go up, when your leader (who hasn't read the NT at all?) circles a date on the calendar.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
On Own Now

Post by On Own Now »

1. 2 hour block - Back in the 70's, when the 12th President of the Church was in office (SWK), the world seemed on the brink of WWIII and the Year 2000 was in the not-too-distant future, we pretty much expected Jesus to return within our lifetimes. The question now is: which will come first, the Second Coming or the ending Church after the Second Hour?

2. Separation of civil and temple marriage in North America - It would be in keeping with some recent global standardization efforts.

3. Change of Name for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - I think this is the least needed and the most likely change to happen. I suspect the new name will be "The Tabernacle Choir".

4. Deletion of PEC meeting - I haven't been in one for so long, I didn't realize that we still did them.

5. Expanded leadership opportunities for women - yes please. I hope for a day when either gender can be called to the majority of positions. Obvious priesthood positions, of course, can't be changed. In today's world, the Bishop needs to be a man. There are only four positions in each ward that are tied to Priesthood Keys: Bishop, EQP, TQP, DQP. All others could, in theory, be women. Radical me, but I would even say counselor in the Bishopric could be a woman. Of course, if we are going to continue to have YM/YW organizations, you would expect them to be gender-based. Primary Prez? SSP? WML? WClerk? ExecSec? Just having some callings that can be either or, rather than the current men-only and women-only callings would be a big step forward.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -