Supposed Blizzard of Changes coming at General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
AmyJ

Re: Supposed Blizzard of Changes coming at General Conference

Post by AmyJ »

It's still "MoTab" to me :D
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

This comment will probably be rejected by the powers in charge but, let's have a contest.
Everyone has three guesses about the changes coming. No money will exchange hands.
The one who gets the most guesses correct, get bragging rights.
Anyone interested? Or, is this going beyond the scope & purpose of this forum?
AmyJ

Post by AmyJ »

Minyan Man wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:41 This comment will probably be rejected by the powers in charge but, let's have a contest.
Everyone has three guesses about the changes coming. No money will exchange hands.
1. 2 hour church
2. Mission Tweaks (service options, age going, or length of service)
3. 3 B's (Belonging, Believing, Becoming)
Roy

Post by Roy »

AmyJ wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:55 1. 2 hour church
2. Mission Tweaks (service options, age going, or length of service)
3. 3 B's (Belonging, Believing, Becoming)
I love each of those! Amen!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Minyan Man wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:41 This comment will probably be rejected by the powers in charge but, let's have a contest.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :D
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man »

Oh alright.
1. 2 hour church on Sundays.

2. Family History Program will include same sex married couples. (I'm not sure about the ordinance part.)

3. Abstaining from Coffee & tea will not be required for a Temple Recommend.

(2 & 3 are probably long shots.)

DJ, it's your turn.
dande48

Post by dande48 »

Here's mine:
1. Two hour Church
2. Relief Society, Priesthood meeting, and Sunday School will all be combined.
3. Allowing service missions for those who come home from their mission early.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 »

This is a great conversation. Well, there are things I would love to see change in the church for the better. So many that I don't want to name them all. Since I've been more active lately, I've heard the same thing from my stake presidency and leaders in my ward. One change I would love to see: Reduce General Conference down to two season, maybe three with the priesthood and relief society. I don't mind watching Conference, but we already have 4 to 5 sessions of General Conference. In my opinion, that's way too much.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

I hope not the tea and coffee thing. Giving them up has been a good thing for many of us.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Minyan Man wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 15:22 Oh alright.
1. 2 hour church on Sundays.

2. Family History Program will include same sex married couples. (I'm not sure about the ordinance part.)

3. Abstaining from Coffee & tea will not be required for a Temple Recommend.

(2 & 3 are probably long shots.)

DJ, it's your turn.
1. Shortened block (hopefully not more than 2 hours)
2. Changes for sister missionaries - age change, 24 months
3. Changing the one year waiting period for temple marriage in North America (perhaps part of a general move to stop doing marriages and just do sealings)

I think your #3 would be great, although it doesn't directly affect me (unless iced tea counts, not hot by definition). I wish they'd just stop asking about the WoW for TR and take away the garment statement.
I think Family Search is already changing the software to make it possible to enter same sex couples.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction