Name of The Church - Version 152

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Mar 2019, 15:59

SamBee wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 15:50
Does this mean we all have to turn into snowflakes every time we get called "Mormons"?
No, I think we have to cast out Satan. :twisted:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Mar 2019, 16:09

Since we all know my opinion I will spare you the novel length diatribe in my head.

My short answer: "By their fruits ye shall know them."

That's all.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Mar 2019, 16:37

mom3 wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 16:09
Since we all know my opinion I will spare you the novel length diatribe in my head.

My short answer: "By their fruits ye shall know them."

That's all.
I had a similar thought, though it's much more diatriby. If I had to guess (and I don't have to, I like to) I'd say your average ward breakdown is:

60% don't care at all
35% will poke fun at the change
5% will police others, hold others to the change, provide fuel for the 35%

All this does is help me more easily determine who is in which camp so I can know who to spend more time with. :smile:

The only thing is that when giving a talk or lesson we've all got to pretend to be in the 5%. Now, if you make unsolicited comments about adhering to the correct name(s) or police usage when you don't feel intimidated to do so... I'll probably find someone else to trade baseball cards with in the hallway during SS.

And if you ask me to give a talk about the name change, be warned... I will not pretend. :twisted:
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

mom3

Post by mom3 » 05 Mar 2019, 17:01

And if you ask me to give a talk about the name change, be warned... I will not pretend.
Right there with you brother.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Mar 2019, 07:09

mom3 wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 17:01
And if you ask me to give a talk about the name change, be warned... I will not pretend.
Right there with you brother.
I wouldn't pretend either, but it would be a very short talk. "I believe we are being asked to focus on the name of the church because we are being asked to focus on Jesus Christ. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 Mar 2019, 11:45

"I believe we are being asked to focus on the name of the church because we are being asked to focus on Jesus Christ. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

I was at a Stake training last night and my SP did exactly that.

I walked in the door a half hour after the meeting started. My husband was all "You're home early." I said yeah, it was a brief, to the point meeting. A hymn, a spiritual thought, two instructions. Then the SP in a 2 min "Jesus is the Reason for All Seasons" over view. Then, a closing prayer.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 06 Mar 2019, 14:39

I've considered myself a Christian throughout my LDS membership and I think my main dilemma is how LDS beliefs square with my Christianity, i.e. are they compatible, is Mormonism a fake Christianity, is temple worship Christian...? I do think LDS are Christians although we have a lot of cultural baggage and some dubious history.

Funnily enough, there are certain things we do which I wish other churches had kept.

But what do we call our denomination? The Church of Jesus Christ is shared by a number of unrelated org.s as are terms like Church of Christ etc. The full church name is a real mouthful and that's the primary reason why we use LDS, Mormon etc. I don't think Mormon is a term of abuse but a nickname which has been used both positively and negatively. I can think of worse things to be called.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."