Name of The Church - Version 152

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by Roy » 16 Aug 2018, 17:23

· The term "Mormonism" is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term "the restored gospel of Jesus Christ" is accurate and preferred.
Really? The term "the restored gospel of Jesus Christ" is accurate to refer to the culture and lifestyle of church members? As in, "The restored gospel of Jesus Christ really sticks in my craw." or "Within the restored gospel of Jesus Christ people can be overly insular, and judgmental, even unchristian" or "In the restored gospel of Jesus Christ some people discourage the use of face cards or consumption of caffienated sodas."???

I always wonder if there are not legal underpinnings for much of the changes that the church makes. I am convinced that the church took away custodians because of workman's comp, OSHA, and fair labor standards act issues. Also the Family Proc. and later POX make sense as a legal bulwark against ever being "forced" to accept or normalize homosexuality or gay marriage. I do know that the church has no legal claim to the word Mormon. No copyright or trademark. I could start up a Mormon church tomorrow (or write a Mormon Book or play) and the CoJCoLDS would not be able to do anything about it. however, if this is a legal strategy I am not sure what the endgame might be. Other than forcing everyone into awkward phrasing with nebulous meanings - I do not really see an advantage.

I do find it somewhat ironic that this is being framed as a revelation - but it is basically the same thing that Elder Nelson asked of us way back in 1990.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 16 Aug 2018, 18:20

Roy wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 17:23
I do find it somewhat ironic that this is being framed as a revelation - but it is basically the same thing that Elder Nelson asked of us way back in 1990.
Just my opinion, but I think RMN is prone to pulling the revelation card as a power play. On the other hand, I suppose it does depend on one's definition of revelation.

And, I already have issues with trying to assert that we're better or more right than other churches or religions. The restored Church of Jesus Christ? Give me a break. If Christ organized a church, and I don't see the evidence he did, this is far from that.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 17 Aug 2018, 05:23

I agree with the other comments here. I think this really cheapens the idea of revelation. With all that is going on right now, why would God take a firm stand on this issue? Especially when we've been here before and it has not worked.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 17 Aug 2018, 07:02

This thought occurred to me: I think the bigger struggle with dropping Mormon comes outside the church as opposed to inside. The RLDS changed their name to the Community of Christ in 2001. How long did it take before that was regularly accepted and used by the world? (Most of the world probably didn't notice or care, actually.)

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 17 Aug 2018, 07:11

I live in Arizona, which is no Utah, and this made the morning news. The two news anchors respectfully asked "why?" In their view Mormon was simply an easy nickname and held no negative connotation. Interestingly they also said that many members of the church were questioning this decision and that they would interview some members about it.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 17 Aug 2018, 08:22

Something like 20-ish years ago, the Church tried to get people to use the correct pronunciation of "Ensign". It still strikes me as funny. I'm not really a sarcastic, eye-rolling person, but I never bothered to learn the 'correct' pronunciation and I still call it the "ENsun".

I still hear "Ephriam" instead of "Ephraim" and even more so, I hear "Jarius" instead of "Jairus". Maybe the Church... er... God... should get us to correct those.

ETB called it the "Book of Marmon".
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Aug 2018, 09:15

ETB called it the "Book of Marmon"
I love the Marmons so much.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 17 Aug 2018, 09:31

mom3 wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 09:15
ETB called it the "Book of Marmon"
I love the Marmons so much.
Maybe Gawd told him to say it that way. :D

My Introduction

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 17 Aug 2018, 12:00

I say that instead of focusing on our name, we focus on our actions.

Most know nowadays "LDS" or "mormon" is an informal reference, not actual name of church.

God goes by many names, I'm sure he is cool with his church having a few.

Let's worry about the policies and actions that show who we are.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 17 Aug 2018, 12:33

It’s strange. When I couldn’t find the drop and the plague came, you seemed so far away I would not ever be able to find you again. But I know now that you were here all along, and that nothing, not the Black Death nor seven hundred years, nor death nor things to come nor any other creature could ever separate me from your caring and concern. It was with me every minute.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book