Name of The Church - Version 152

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mom3

Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by mom3 »

I swear we try to do this every decade. It never works. But here we go again - what we should be calling the church or the name of our church.
If anyone cares we should just shorten the name to the Church of Jesus Christ. And then act like it.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
Roadrunner

Re: Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by Roadrunner »

The snarky side of me says if the Almighty didn't want us to be called LDS or Mormons He should have given His church a simpler name. If something has a long name humans will shorten it.
Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

That being said I understand the desire to not be called Mormons, especially in contrast to polygamists. I had an argument with my very orthodox brother in law one time when I explained that the term "Mormons" is non-technical and a fairly general term for anyone who believes in the Book of Mormon, including polygamists. He got pretty upset, but the bottom line is that although the LDS church is the largest, there are many denominations who claim to be Mormon.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Church of Jesus Christ is too generic. There are a dozen organizations with names like that.

Isn't the church website lds.org? Or mormon.org? I don't think either are offensive.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Roadrunner wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 15:38 That being said I understand the desire to not be called Mormons, especially in contrast to polygamists. I had an argument with my very orthodox brother in law one time when I explained that the term "Mormons" is non-technical and a fairly general term for anyone who believes in the Book of Mormon, including polygamists. He got pretty upset, but the bottom line is that although the LDS church is the largest, there are many denominations who claim to be Mormon.
The Community of Christ/RLDS don't like the term apparently.

I've no issue with it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Like Mom says, I've heard this before. As I recall the last time it was tried the church finally relented and decided it was OK to use Mormon to refer to ourselves, but not "Mormon Church." I don't disagree with that, and I don't think others will stop calling us Mormons no matter what we say. Despite the AP Style Guide I see the church referred to as Church of Latter Day Saints all the time in print.

That said, I do look forward to visiting TheChurchofJesusChristofLatter-daySaints.org. :roll:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Exactly, they can't control other people and at least it's not an offensive nickname like say, Papists or Holy Roller.
dande48

Post by dande48 »

SamBee wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 16:12 Church of Jesus Christ is too generic. There are a dozen organizations with names like that.
I completely agree. I have seen many churches using the name "the Church of Jesus Christ". I'm also not a fan of "the Restored Church of Jesus Christ", they kept emphasizing. For some reason, it just didn't sit right with me. It's like they were trying to choose their own nickname. Combined with the fact that many people, upon hearing that name, would think "Nuh-Uh!".

The fact is, if your organization has a long name (something more than a word or two), people are going to abbreviate it and/or give you a nickname. Hence we have "the Mormons".
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
mom3

Post by mom3 »

It get's better. Brother Joseph, the first Mormon Prophet, said the following,
To the Editor of the Times & Seasons:
Sir - Through the medium of your paper, I wish to correct an error among men that profess to be learned, liberal and wise; and I do it more than cheerfully. . . .The error I speak of, is the definition of the word "Mormon". It has been stated that this word was derived from the Greek word "mormo". This is not the case. There was no Greek or Latin upon the plates from which I, through the grace of God, translated the Book of Mormon."
After lengthy explanations Joseph Smith writes,
We say from the Saxon "good"; the Dutch "god"; the Goth, "goda" .... and the Egyptian, "mon". Hence with the addition of more or the contraction of "mor", we have the world "mormon"; which means, literally, "more good." - Yours, JOSEPH SMITH
If Mormon was good enough for Joseph - it's good enough for me.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith page. 300.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman