Name of The Church - Version 152

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by Roy » 12 Oct 2018, 16:33

The Jehovah's Witnesses take very seriously the idea that omitting the name of deity is both offensive to God and limits of the saving power of the gospel.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Oct 2018, 19:32

dande48 wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:07

Lol. Though in fairness Jesus Christ was not called "Jesus" nor "the Christ" while he was alive. I wonder if He's ticked we get his name wrong so often?
Hmm... sort of. Latin and Greek were widely spoken in Jesus' home area, and he would have been referred to as something very similar in them. Jesus had dealings with Romans (they executed him for one!), so likely as not he would have been referred to as Iesus/Iesous in his presence while still alive.
Roy wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 16:33
The Jehovah's Witnesses take very seriously the idea that omitting the name of deity is both offensive to God and limits of the saving power of the gospel.
They go to the other extreme and insert Jehovah in everywhere it does not appear in the original. The textual evidence suggests that in OT times, the supreme being was known by a number of names. YHWH was one, albeit the most important one. Jews won't even say the name YHWH out loud.

(Despite all the criticisms of JWs, Jehovah isn't as far removed from YHWH as some make out. We use a hard J, but in languages such as German, the similarity is more apparent to the original Yod. Waw can be transliterated as V and is also known as Vav. The vowels are debatable, and may never be known for sure.)
Last edited by SamBee on 12 Oct 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 19 Oct 2018, 15:30

SamBee wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:34
The RLDS/CoC name change was I believe more understandable.
Once again, The Community of Christ is way ahead of us!
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Oct 2018, 17:02

FaithfulSkeptic wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:30
SamBee wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:34
The RLDS/CoC name change was I believe more understandable.
Once again, The Community of Christ is way ahead of us!
Different reasons.

The RLDS didn't want to be confused with us!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Mar 2019, 11:44

From the Mormon :crazy: newsroom:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... -alignment
The Church’s official website will become ChurchofJesusChrist.org. This change is effective today, March 5, 2019, when the domain name ChurchofJesusChrist.org begins pointing to the LDS.org home page. In the coming months, the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain name will replace what were the following:
  • LDS.org (ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
  • MormonNewsroom.org (Newsroom.ChurchofJesusChrist.org
Eventually, Mormon.org will be incorporated into the new domain as well. However, because its primary audience is those outside the Church, merging it with the Church member-focused ChurchofJesusChrist.org will take more time.

Work is underway to unify and restructure all these websites into a new, more cohesive and personalized experience under the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain. Until that time, Mormon.org will change to ComeuntoChrist.org.
Super, duper serious about the branding/name change. I think we all saw this coming, but now it's official.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Mar 2019, 11:59

nibbler wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 11:44
From the Mormon :crazy: newsroom:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... -alignment
The Church’s official website will become ChurchofJesusChrist.org. This change is effective today, March 5, 2019, when the domain name ChurchofJesusChrist.org begins pointing to the LDS.org home page. In the coming months, the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain name will replace what were the following:
  • LDS.org (ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
  • MormonNewsroom.org (Newsroom.ChurchofJesusChrist.org
Eventually, Mormon.org will be incorporated into the new domain as well. However, because its primary audience is those outside the Church, merging it with the Church member-focused ChurchofJesusChrist.org will take more time.

Work is underway to unify and restructure all these websites into a new, more cohesive and personalized experience under the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain. Until that time, Mormon.org will change to ComeuntoChrist.org.
Super, duper serious about the branding/name change. I think we all saw this coming, but now it's official.
Thanks for the warning. We had stake conference this past weekend, so this Sunday is F&TM and I'm sure I'll hear about this and how inspired our prophet is.

In truth if focusing more on Jesus Christ in the name of the church helps members to focus more on Jesus Christ and helps non-members understand what we're really supposed to be about, I'm all for it. I haven't seen the fruits of this yet, but I'll be patient.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 05 Mar 2019, 12:10

DarkJedi wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 11:59
In truth if focusing more on Jesus Christ in the name of the church helps members to focus more on Jesus Christ and helps non-members understand what we're really supposed to be about, I'm all for it. I haven't seen the fruits of this yet, but I'll be patient.
Yeah, if it moves people's testimonies more towards Christ then it can't be a bad thing. I think there are more efficient ways to go about it, say by addressing the issue directly, head on in a general conference talk. I'm thinking the title of the talk could be something like, "The Church, Temples, Prophets, Apostles, and Other Modern-day Idols" :angel: :angel:

But going back to D&C 107. Now that we're in the process of changing to official names to be more focused on Christ does this mean we'll start calling the MP by the name the Lord gave it? The Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God.

I mean... it fits right in with the plan to make labels unnecessarily long and cumbersome and we get to name drop Jesus a lot more than we currently do, which also fits nicely within the current plan.

(tongue in cheek)

Tyler Goodman

Post by Tyler Goodman » 05 Mar 2019, 14:59

I'm of the oppinion that changing the website url from LDS.org to ChurchofJesusChrist.org is just silly. It's not like we're dropping the 'of Latter Day Saints' from the official name of the church, so it should still be a okay thing to use the obviously better URL. We live in a time of many URL shorteners, and even sites like Youtube now offer shorter links than the full URL for when you want to more easily pass along a video.

Put simply, what sort of typical internet user would rather type ChurchofJesusChrist.org rather than LDS.org I mean that's a 20 letter long url as opposed to 3 letters. There's so much more room for errors/typos in that. Not to mention that it will just take much more time to type out. That's got to be one of the longest website URLs I've ever seen. :thumbdown:

The change of Mormon.org to ComeUntoChrist.org isn't as bad length wise. And now it seems they've totally redone what that site is about. It used to be a meet the members sorta thing, but it's extremely different now. It would have made just as much sense to say that Mormon.org was discontinued and that a new site was to be introduced as ComeUntoChrist.org since they're totally different in appearance. Either way I don't care much about the second site change, it's the awful lengthening of the first that I think was a poor decision functionality wise. :shifty:

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 05 Mar 2019, 15:42

This still feels like a made up crisis to me. Even to my most orthodox friends and family this feels like farce. Even they make jokes constantly about “another victory for satan” when someone says “Mormon.”

Can’t wait to have everything change back in a few years. Hope the PR department keeps paying on the old domain names. 🙄😳
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 Mar 2019, 15:50

Does this mean we all have to turn into snowflakes every time we get called "Mormons"?