Name of The Church - Version 152

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by Roy » 12 Oct 2018, 16:33

The Jehovah's Witnesses take very seriously the idea that omitting the name of deity is both offensive to God and limits of the saving power of the gospel.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Oct 2018, 19:32

dande48 wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 21:07

Lol. Though in fairness Jesus Christ was not called "Jesus" nor "the Christ" while he was alive. I wonder if He's ticked we get his name wrong so often?
Hmm... sort of. Latin and Greek were widely spoken in Jesus' home area, and he would have been referred to as something very similar in them. Jesus had dealings with Romans (they executed him for one!), so likely as not he would have been referred to as Iesus/Iesous in his presence while still alive.
Roy wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 16:33
The Jehovah's Witnesses take very seriously the idea that omitting the name of deity is both offensive to God and limits of the saving power of the gospel.
They go to the other extreme and insert Jehovah in everywhere it does not appear in the original. The textual evidence suggests that in OT times, the supreme being was known by a number of names. YHWH was one, albeit the most important one. Jews won't even say the name YHWH out loud.

(Despite all the criticisms of JWs, Jehovah isn't as far removed from YHWH as some make out. We use a hard J, but in languages such as German, the similarity is more apparent to the original Yod. Waw can be transliterated as V and is also known as Vav. The vowels are debatable, and may never be known for sure.)
Last edited by SamBee on 12 Oct 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 19 Oct 2018, 15:30

SamBee wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:34
The RLDS/CoC name change was I believe more understandable.
Once again, The Community of Christ is way ahead of us!
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Oct 2018, 17:02

FaithfulSkeptic wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:30
SamBee wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:34
The RLDS/CoC name change was I believe more understandable.
Once again, The Community of Christ is way ahead of us!
Different reasons.

The RLDS didn't want to be confused with us!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."