Name of The Church - Version 152

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: Name of The Church - Version 152

Post by nibbler » 17 Aug 2018, 12:35

dande48 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 16:49
... For some reason, it just didn't sit right with me. It's like they were trying to choose their own nickname. ...
It's like that episode of Big Bang Theory. Howard is doing his best to convince the other astronauts to give him the nickname "Rocket Man" but it ends up not working.

In that light I think I'll start calling it The Church of Fruit Loops.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

dande48

Post by dande48 » 17 Aug 2018, 13:24

HE'S BACK!!!
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 17 Aug 2018, 14:39

nibbler wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:35
dande48 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 16:49
... For some reason, it just didn't sit right with me. It's like they were trying to choose their own nickname. ...
It's like that episode of Big Bang Theory. Howard is doing his best to convince the other astronauts to give him the nickname "Rocket Man" but it ends up not working.

In that light I think I'll start calling it The Church of Fruit Loops.
...he's only partially back....I'm waiting for the Avatar to make the appearance!! :lol:

"Church of Fruit Loops"....you know...it's a good thing you're not in charge of the naming department ;) (although it would match the stuff I find in the seats of the pews when vacuuming up the chapel)

I'm starting to wonder if RMN will be the kind of prophet to add one more section to the D&C...maybe something about a name change and add scripture around it...whatta ya think?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

mom3

Post by mom3 » 17 Aug 2018, 14:39

HE'S BACK!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Rusty92

Post by Rusty92 » 17 Aug 2018, 14:47

It will never change
We will always be known as Mormons
Accept it and move on!
There are bigger fish to fry

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Aug 2018, 16:02

While restored might sound good to the head honchos, it also has the meaning of doing up something old and battered... restoration puts me in mind of someone working for years on fixing up an old automobile which barely works when they get it running. Not the image they intended.

Really no idea why they fear being called Mormon. I had a doctor's appointment recently. The church came up and I mentioned I was Mormon. They knew straight away what I meant. If I'd said "Latter-day Saint" then they would have to think about it for a couple of seconds. In this part of the world that phrase is so rarely used so has low name recognition. LDS or Mormon though - it's all good.

But that short name? There are a number of Churches of Jesus Christ, or - even more common one - Churches of Christ, which vary between happy clappy evangelical ones to low key Protestants to authoritarian (cultish?) ones to a white supremacist one founded by KKK members:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of ... 3Christian
The Church of Jesus Christ–Christian is an American Christian Identity, white supremacist church, which was founded in 1946 by Ku Klux Klan organizer Wesley A. Swift. Swift was the son of a Methodist Episcopal Church, South minister and is considered a significant figure in the early years of the Christian Identity movement in the United States
Church of Jesus Christ may refer to:
Church of Jesus Christ–Christian, a white-supremacist church founded by Ku Klux Klan organizer Wesley A. Swift
Church of Jesus Christ at Armageddon, commonly known as the Love Family, a communal church founded in 1968 by Love Israel
Church of Jesus Christ in Madagascar, the national church of Madagascar and the country's second-largest Christian denomination
Church of Jesus Christ, known as Harshmanites, a small pacifist church in Illinois with Methodist origins
Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as Christian Science
Iglesia ni Cristo (Filipino translation for "Church of Christ"), an independent church originating in the Philippines
United Church of Christ in the Philippines, the largest Protestant group in the Philippines
United Church of Christ – Congregational in the Marshall Islands, the largest religious group in the Marshall Islands
United Church of Christ, a mainline Protestant denomination in the United States amalgamated from four congregationalist groups in 1957 (see also Christian Connexion)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ
Last edited by SamBee on 17 Aug 2018, 16:15, edited 3 times in total.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 17 Aug 2018, 16:03

Rusty92 wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 14:47
It will never change
We will always be known as Mormons
Accept it and move on!
There are bigger fish to fry
:thumbup: This. Nothing wrong with the name (other than sounding like "moron").
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Aug 2018, 23:06

Does this make us all ex-Mormons? :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 18 Aug 2018, 08:48

To me this sounds like the epitome of straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel (Matthew 23:24). Seriously, of all the things in the world to worry about or try to improve, you expect me to believe that this is what the "Lord" chose to impress upon your mind? Sorry President Nelson, I'm not buying it; even if I wanted to play along simply for the sake of entertaining the idea it still just sounds way too far out-of-character for Jesus as described in the Bible.

[Admin Note: A paragraph questioning Pres. Nelson's motive and attributing the change to that motive was deleted.]

But the remaining obvious advantage of "Mormon" and "LDS" over any of the suggested alternatives is that they are short, fairly easy to remember, and adequately identify who or what exactly you are talking about. By contrast, there are so many different Christian churches that calling it "the Church" is practically worthless to outsiders where LDS are a small minority because they will have no idea which church you are talking about. And asking people to say or type out "the restored Church of Jesus Christ" much less the full official name is way too long and tedious by comparison. So it seems like this will mostly serve as yet another inconvenience to the few people that will actually pay attention to this and honor the request just because Nelson said so and it is unlikely to ever widely catch on the way he seems to hope.
"Truth is what works." - William James

dande48

Post by dande48 » 18 Aug 2018, 09:53

Curt Sunshine wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 23:06
Does this make us all ex-Mormons? :P
I was born a Mormon. I'm gonna die a Mormon. I don't care what Nelson has to say about it.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket