RS Lesson on Powers of the Priesthood - Help!

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DancingCarrot

RS Lesson on Powers of the Priesthood - Help!

Post by DancingCarrot » 08 Aug 2018, 12:24

The lesson this week in RS is President Oaks' The Powers of the Priesthood from April's General Men's session. I've read over the talk and looked back at the forum when GC was happening, and I'm still coming up completely blank. I find little in this talk to be inspiring, motivating, or even interesting. It seems like an exposition on the different offices, even after the policy change to combine HP and EQ. Beyond that, I keep thinking about how there is structural/organizational support for men to have different purposes in the church as they age. Despite how things may play out in individual wards, the way Oaks lays out the intent for the different offices suggests shifting purposes throughout life's stages for men. There is no equivalent for women. Once we turn 18, boom - RS forever and ever. I realize that not every man is excited about the changes between offices, nor that there are meaningful differences between the two in every ward. I'm simply laying out a difference I see.

Regardless....does anyone have any suggestions for this lesson? I'm thinking of using another talk because my own personal revelation doesn't jive with this lesson, but I'm curious to see what you all have to say on the manner.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: RS Lesson on Powers of the Priesthood - Help!

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Aug 2018, 15:03

Look at his talk about Priesthood keys from the November 2014 conference. There is a LOT in that one that is good. (Maybe read one good quote from the more recent one, then focus exclusively on the earlier one.)

I did four Sunday School lessons on the 2014 talk when I taught youth Sunday School. I will try to find a link to those lessons and post it here.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Aug 2018, 15:08

I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 08 Aug 2018, 17:47

Thanks, Curt. I was actually thinking how you've mentioned that other talk several times, and I'm happy to have your lessons on it as well.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons