Homework on Sunday - Help Please

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
dande48

Re: Homework on Sunday - Help Please

Post by dande48 » 05 Aug 2018, 18:49

Minyan Man wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:18
We have a number of medical students in ward. There are times when, because of their schedules, they come to sacrament meeting in their
scrubs.
Have you ever worn scrubs? SUPER comfortable. If I am ever exalted and become a god, I'm declaring scrubs as church attire.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 06 Aug 2018, 01:10

dande48 wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:49
Minyan Man wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:18
We have a number of medical students in ward. There are times when, because of their schedules, they come to sacrament meeting in their
scrubs.
Have you ever worn scrubs? SUPER comfortable. If I am ever exalted and become a god, I'm declaring scrubs as church attire.
I just got the image of young Elojamie telling his buddies, "Man, these garmies are soooo comfortable. If I'm exalted and become a God, I'm making my kids wear these things ALL the time. They'll love it!"

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 08 Aug 2018, 00:10

What's the benefit of not studying on Sunday? What benefit have you noticed in your life in the past?

Also, how stressful does it make it to not study on Sunday?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 08 Aug 2018, 05:19

I didn't study on Sundays when I was growing up - I think it was a personal thing. I was one of those honors students who self-motivated and got my homework done Friday afternoon after school.

I also wasn't working full-time, co-partnering in raising children, and being the executive functioning administrator of my home back then.

This past weekend it worked out that I got in an hour of study and 5 loads of laundry done on Saturday, thus having to avoid attempting to study on Sunday.

Joni

Post by Joni » 08 Aug 2018, 07:34

The way I see it, if God wanted me not to do homework on Sunday, He wouldn't have made it necessary for me to go back to school in the first place. He could have let my husband have a better paying job and/or stopped my husband from being laid off six times. After all, we hear talks over the pulpit all the time about God doing stuff like that.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 08 Aug 2018, 09:40

Joni wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 07:34
The way I see it, if God wanted me not to do homework on Sunday, He wouldn't have made it necessary for me to go back to school in the first place. He could have let my husband have a better paying job and/or stopped my husband from being laid off six times. After all, we hear talks over the pulpit all the time about God doing stuff like that.
I hear it too...but...again...I think to myself...why? What are they trying to say or teach and how to do I compare that to my personal experience.

What works for others may not work for me.

Not studying on Sunday when I was in college just stressed me out on Saturdays and Sundays to get so much done in one day and fret about it the next.

Is that really helping me achieve the day of rest they were preaching to? No. So...thanks for the good idea, but it doesn't work for me and my study habits.
Sometimes, well-meaning amplifications of divine principles—many coming from uninspired sources—complicate matters further, diluting the purity of divine truth with man-made addenda. One person’s good idea—something that may work for him or her—takes root and becomes an expectation. And gradually, eternal principles can get lost within the labyrinth of “good ideas.”
Elder Uchtdorf, Love of God
Not studying on Sunday is a "good idea" for some, not an eternal principle for all. Choose wisely for your situation what you are getting out of it, and how you are approaching it...or it becomes what DJ said...
DJ wrote:Sunday is one of those things I think the church is way too Pharisaical about.
I think it can be a blessing to the procrastinator that if they commit to no study on Sunday it motivates them to do it before then...and there can be blessings on how good that feels.

Just was never me. I've encouraged my kids to find what works for them. Grades will not go up or down because of the time or day we study...but if we study or not. Grades are more likely to go up if we are mentally healthy and balanced in life to approach our studies with clear and rested minds, however we can do that best.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 08 Aug 2018, 12:32

Joni wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 07:34
To start with, I have no problem doing Homework on Sunday. Back in the day, I did it on a regular basis & didn't feel guilty about it.
Your statement sounds like a universal justification for a lot of things. For example: (this is not meant to be critical or funny.)
If God didn't want me to commit adultery, he shouldn't of made the desire for sex so strong.
My advice: do what's best for you & your family & don't feel guilty. God understands.