Request for quotes/ideas

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Only Love

Request for quotes/ideas

Post by Only Love » 29 Jul 2018, 11:41

Hi friends! I need your help! I was asked to speak in stake conference on ministering to those on the fringes- lgbtq, inactive, any who don't feel like they fit the traditional Mormon mold. What ideas do you think are especially important for me to include? If you have quotes (especially from general authorities) I can share I would love that! Thanks! :)

Roy

Re: Request for quotes/ideas

Post by Roy » 29 Jul 2018, 13:03

My initial impression is that Jesus was the master at ministering to the marginalized. He has asked us to "feed his sheep".
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

dande48

Post by dande48 » 29 Jul 2018, 17:54

One of my favorite conference talks: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Only Love

Post by Only Love » 29 Jul 2018, 20:22

Roy wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 13:03
My initial impression is that Jesus was the master at ministering to the marginalized. He has asked us to "feed his sheep".
So true! Thanks, Roy!
dande48 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:54
One of my favorite conference talks: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng
Yes! Such a fabulous talk! I'm going to go read it again! Thanks, dande!

mom3

Post by mom3 » 29 Jul 2018, 21:59

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video ... y&lang=eng

We watched this in Relief Society the other day I really liked it. It's not direct but it is inclusive. I am excited that you have that topic. Also this blog post from LDS.org that On Own Now posted might work.

https://www.lds.org/blog/who-do-i-choos ... OG_xLIDyL2

Let us know how it goes.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Jul 2018, 06:04

My contribution was Come Join With Us, already covered. That talk made all the difference for me and I reread it often, if only to remind myself that someone at the top thinks I'm OK.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Jul 2018, 07:02

Chieko Okazaki had some fabulous quotes about this exact topic. I don't have time to search our archives right now, but maybe try a Google search using "Chieko Okazaki LGBTQ quotes".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 30 Jul 2018, 08:18

What a great topic and opportunity.

Can I give you some thoughts instead of some quotes?

The entire idea of 'ministering' is to help people feel welcome.

The first step is to make sure, in our own hearts, that they really are welcome.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:34

From the classic talk oft quoted here on this site, Elder Wirthlin's "Concern for the one" from April 2008 GC:
Some are lost because they are different. They feel as though they don’t belong. Perhaps because they are different, they find themselves slipping away from the flock. They may look, act, think, and speak differently than those around them and that sometimes causes them to assume they don’t fit in. They conclude that they are not needed.

Tied to this misconception is the erroneous belief that all members of the Church should look, talk, and be alike. The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father’s children are different in some degree, yet each has his own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole.

This variety of creation itself is a testament of how the Lord values all His children. He does not esteem one flesh above another, but He “inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; … all are alike unto God.”
I used this in a stake conference talk, with the emphasis that ALL ARE GOD's CHILDREN. He created us as we are, so we are therefore OK as we are. Each individual should be treated with respect and dignity as one of God's creation.

Part of my stake talk went like this:
Wouldn’t it be silly if they hung a sign on all hospital doors that read:
• The doctors and nurses in here are healthy. You can be like us if you try harder. When you get to be like us….then please enter the hospital and join us.
No, it doesn’t work that way.
President Uchtdorf of the First Presidency said in October 2014
The Church is a home for all to come together, regardless of the depth or the height of our testimony. I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.”

The Church is not just for perfect people, but it is for all to “come unto Christ, and be perfected in him.” The Church is for people like you and me. The Church is a place of welcoming and nurturing, not of separating or criticizing. It is a place where we reach out to encourage, uplift, and sustain one another as we pursue our individual search for divine truth.
I think this is good reminder to us that testimonies come in different sizes, in different time frames…some may seek for years to get the testimony they so desire.
But all are welcome as they are.
It is important for us to remember that…finding the one requires honest and true concern for individuals.

As we read in 3 Nephi 17: 21
21 … he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.
One more good reminder is to remember to avoid labeling others. They are not a "LGBTQ" person or an "inactive" person (which sounds weird to most people when you use terms like "an active member" or " an inactive member")...they are a person.

How we view others is a reflection of our hearts.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Jul 2018, 12:34

I have used the example of someone coming into our sacrament service - right in the middle of the administration of the sacrament - reeking of alcohol - or wearing a mini skirt and loose tank top - or muttering softly and incoherently - or holding hands with someone of the same sex - or anything else of which we might disapprove naturally. What is our first internal reaction / thought:
"What are you doing here?"
or
"Thank God you found us!"
How we treat others almost always depends on what we actively think about them.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken