New hymnal is in the works! Some major, wonderful changes.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
On Own Now

Re: New hymnal is in the works! Some major, wonderful changes.

Post by On Own Now » 19 Jun 2018, 11:19

Great news. Thank you, Ann.

This has made me reflect on some of the old hymns we used to sing, but now rarely or never. Perhaps you still do in your area, but I don't hear them anymore. For the older crowd:

- We are all enlisted (till the conflict is o'er; happy are we, happy are we. Soldiers in the army, there's a bright crown in store. We shall win and wear it by and by. Haste to the battle, quick to the field; truth is our helmet, buckler and shield. Stand by our colors; proudly they wave. We're joyfully, joyfully, marching to our home.)

- In our lovely Deseret (indlucing the second verse: "That the children may live long, and be beautiful and strong, tea and coffee and tobacco they despise. Drink no liquor, and they eat, but very little meat; they are seeking to be great and good and wise.")

- I still occasionally hear Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel around July 24, but it used to be a mainstay.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Jun 2018, 11:22

Now that we are talking about grace much more openly, I can see it being added - or, at the very least, allowed.

That is an example of why the second change I mentioned is so important. Even if it isn't included, it still may be sung (subject to leadership roulette, but at least possible).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Jun 2018, 13:42

On Own Now wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 11:19
This has made me reflect on some of the old hymns we used to sing, but now rarely or never. Perhaps you still do in your area, but I don't hear them anymore. For the older crowd:

- We are all enlisted (250) ...

- In our lovely Deseret (307) ...

- I still occasionally hear Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel (252) around July 24, but it used to be a mainstay.
Edited to add the current hymn numbers.

OON, you'd love one unit I used to belong to. We only sang about two dozen songs in the hymnal and if you included Called to Serve in your list I could guarantee you that you'd hear at least one of those four hymns every single Sunday. That ward "Hootie and the Blowfished" those songs for me, I grew sick of them due to the repetition. :(

- - - - -

I could be completely wrong but I think one of the goals is to standardize the hymnals in all languages. I've belonged to multi-language wards in the past and it was always a struggle. Group A, turn to page 36; group B, turn to page 116; group C turn to page 46 - all to sing the same hymn. There were also several hymns that were unique to the various languages so we had to cross reference and cross reference every time we picked out hymns. It's a niche problem to be sure, but I think they may be aiming for hymn 36 to be the same hymn in all languages.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Jun 2018, 13:54

Most of my suggestions are for things I'd like removed. :twisted:

I always cringe when I hear the announcement that the hymn we'll be singing falls somewhere in the 19-27 range. I'm also no fan of the combat themed hymns - Onward, Christian Soldiers, We Are All Enlisted, Behold, A Royal Army, etc. - the ones with strong us vs. them, we're right and you're wrong, when god comes back you'll get yours, if you don't believe what we believe you'll never be happy language.

If Praise to the Man isn't booted... :think:

I won't lose any sleep if none of those hymns change, I'll just continue to not sing them when they come up - merrily not sing them at that.

This is a good thing. I've been wishing for change in this area for a while now.

Edited to add: Come, All Ye Sons of God is so cornball. I'm not sure whether I'd like to see the hymn removed or for it to make it into the new hymnal so I can continue to imagine dogs barking the notes in place of the lyrics.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 19 Jun 2018, 14:21

The church is seeking input, including original songs. I have submitted the following, though it is to a common tune (as they used to do).

(sung to "If You Could Hie to Kolob"):

If you could high five Dieter, with a twinkling in his eye,
He'd then continue talking 'bout when he used to fly,
Do you think that you could ever, through all eternity
Find out the reason he is not in the First Presidency?
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 19 Jun 2018, 14:22

:lol:

Oh my.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Jun 2018, 14:25

Pure, spit-take gold.

:lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2018, 15:23

There are so many hymns we don't sing. We never sing Adam ondi Ahman, which is quite an interesting tune.
I love The Morning Breaks in the MoTab version - again we never sing it.

Put your Shoulder to the Wheel features quite frequently in our local services. And I'm not a fan. It sounds to me like the kind of song that Chairman Mao's cadres would sing while beating up some passing old man.

Just to be contrary I actually like Praise to the Man and Joseph Smith's First Prayer.

And I notice they have God Save the King down there... it's been God save the Queen for quite a while. Elizabeth has been queen since the 50s... longer than I've been alive or most of the other board members. But you know the LDS likes patriarchy. And they've left it so long that it probably will be back to the King soon. She's pretty old now.

I know our current president can probably remember Elizabeth's coronation, but I can't.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 19 Jun 2018, 15:33

I am excited about the changes, mostly for the reasons Curt gave. But also because I think for the last few years we've been hearing "No, we're not redoing the hymn book so quit asking." I also like that the "canon" will open a bit with online options. I think most regulars here know how much I dislike a certain hymn about Joseph Smith, and I am going to have it on my list to drop without much hope of that actually happening. Imma do some research and I'll be back with my lists.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ann

Post by Ann » 19 Jun 2018, 19:36

On Own Now wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 14:21
The church is seeking input, including original songs. I have submitted the following, though it is to a common tune (as they used to do).

(sung to "If You Could Hie to Kolob"):

If you could high five Dieter, with a twinkling in his eye,
He'd then continue talking 'bout when he used to fly,
Do you think that you could ever, through all eternity
Find out the reason he is not in the First Presidency?
Did you really? :clap:

I didn’t even bother suggesting deleting Paise to the Man, but I found about 35-40 others that I hope are OBVIOUS candidates. “Lean on My Ample Arm” and other wastes of space.

I really hope they get good submissions. I hope they pile all other churches’ hymnals on the table and look for SATB gems.

Any chance “I Believe in Christ” will get shortened? I just groan when its turn comes around.

I also hope that they don’t try to do too much coordinating with that big General Conference index in the sky. We need more general hymns of praise and gratitude. That’s what opening hymns are supposed to be. They’re not necessarily matchy-matchy with the theme for the talks.

I put in a strong pitch for more Easter hymns. I’ll probably go back for round two as all my peeves and long-suppressed hopes bubble to the surface. I honestly thought we’d never get a new hymnal. I was bracing myself for self-playing pianos programmed with 50 acceptable hymns.

I haven’t read his biography, but I get the impression that President Nelson is very musical. Maybe he’s been on the same wave-length with many of us.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11