New hymnal is in the works! Some major, wonderful changes.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ann

New hymnal is in the works! Some major, wonderful changes.

Post by Ann » 18 Jun 2018, 16:51

And they’re asking for opinions and experiences with church music.

newmusic.lds.org
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: New hymnal is in the works! Some major, wonderful changes.

Post by Curt Sunshine » 18 Jun 2018, 17:09

I was about to post some details from lds.org. (I added more to the title.)

My favorite two changes:

1) National anthems are being removed.

2) "Sacred music of local interest may be made available to members by language through digital channels as appropriate and doctrinally correct."

#1 is important. #2 is HUGE!!!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 18 Jun 2018, 19:42

Hooray - Something of value. This is loooong overdue.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2018, 03:06

Curt Sunshine wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 17:09
I was about to post some details from lds.org. (I added more to the title.)

My favorite two changes:

1) National anthems are being removed.

2) "Sacred music of local interest may be made available to members by language through digital channels as appropriate and doctrinally correct."

#1 is important. #2 is HUGE!!!
It always seemed strange to me that O Canada and Advance Australia Fair etc were not in there. Especially the former given that there is a kind of mini-Utah in Alberta.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 19 Jun 2018, 05:17

SamBee wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 03:06
It always seemed strange to me that O Canada and Advance Australia Fair etc were not in there. Especially the former given that there is a kind of mini-Utah in Alberta.
That's an easy one to explain... It's because the United States of America was specifically declared by God in the Book of Mormon to be the greatest country on earth. I'm not sure where it says this, but I've heart it in church countless times, so it mustbe true! :P

We did give Canada "God Save the King/Queen", but I assume it was mostly to mock them. In all seriousness, though, I hate it when members and Church leaders mingle their personal ideologies (patriotism, romanticism, capitalism, etc) with scripture.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2018, 07:56

dande48 wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 05:17
SamBee wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 03:06
That's an easy one to explain... It's because the United States of America was specifically declared by God in the Book of Mormon to be the greatest country on earth. I'm not sure where it says this, but I've heart it in church countless times, so it mustbe true! :P

We did give Canada "God Save the King/Queen", but I assume it was mostly to mock them. In all seriousness, though, I hate it when members and Church leaders mingle their personal ideologies (patriotism, romanticism, capitalism, etc) with scripture.
I've always had a soft spot for America the Beautiful. I think it is more appropriate than the SSB, and I even find it moving as a non-American. It is a kind of hymn too.

SSB - and sorry to hurt American pride here - is an old European drinking song, which most people find impossible to sing and just strikes me as a really odd choice, given all the other contenders.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 19 Jun 2018, 07:56

This is an exciting announcement. I actually don't mind national anthems in the hymnbook as long as it's expected that any country will sing their national anthem. In Guatemala on my mission we sang their national anthem at least twice a year in Sacrament Meeting. It's kind of different and very old fashioned Spanish that almost nobody understood but it was special to them. Likewise I love The Star Spangled Banner when the organist knows how to play it well. I now live 2 miles from an air force base in the US and if we didn't sing it the Star Spangled Banner the Sunday before July 4 there might literally be a revolt.

My suggestion is to add:
1) Amazing Grace
2) Come Thou Fount of All Our Blessings

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Jun 2018, 09:00

My main gripe with that is that my country's anthem isn't in there! We would never sing SSB in this ward. We have Americans but not enough.

On the other hand, I'm sure it would be easy enough to get the words for it (though not sing it)
Roadrunner wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 07:56
My suggestion is to add:
1) Amazing Grace
2) Come Thou Fount of All Our Blessings
Good choices!

There are a lot of hymns we never sing. Without hearing them all regularly it is hard to judge them.

We had a beautiful LDS tune played in our ward once, but I can't remember the name of it... and it's not in the hymn book.

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 19 Jun 2018, 09:35

Roadrunner wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 07:56
Likewise I love The Star Spangled Banner when the organist knows how to play it well.
So, in other words, never in an LDS service?

Roy

Post by Roy » 19 Jun 2018, 11:07

I had always thought Amazing Grace was not included because it was not thought to be doctrinally correct.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13