How do I

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Heber13

Re: How do I

Post by Heber13 » 20 Jun 2018, 10:09

Kipper wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 20:19
This time I did express myself a little more honestly than other times.
:thumbup:

Thanks for doing so. I think that enriches this forum...good, honest discourse. We don't have to try to only share positive stuff about the church. There is stuff that really bugs me sometimes too.

But we move forward, and find what works for us. I think...sometimes moving forward with honest criticism of the church and its leaders is healthy to help us feel like it isn't "us misfit toys" that are the problem. Let's call it like it is. There are problems at church, and how it makes us feel, and what others say.

There. I said it. That's me being honest too.

Now we move forward, and look for ways to live our lives in a way that makes our choices meaningful, and our life filled with what we want and need. We cannot expect to find the good at church if we blind ourselves to the bad. It all goes together...opposition in all things.

Honesty, not fake plastic smiles, is admirable. Keep it up. Others need to hear and learn from your experience as they lurk and read here.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 10 Aug 2018, 08:12

California is blazing with wildfires, one is fairly close to home. After a post on my FB page I got this reply "I think the earth is being cleansed. Very sad. 😢"

This make me nuts. It's why I can't be a church socialite.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 10 Aug 2018, 09:01

Yikes. Hellfire and brimstone. Some love it.

It doesn't really make sense...but some like to make stories.

I guess fires do literally cleanse a forest, and seems to be a natural thing.

But...it has nothing to do with God or the people who get relocated by the destruction.

I guess it is your opportunity to practice religion and dealing with silly things others believe. It can be infuriating. especially when it propogates hate, which is too common nowadays in our nation.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 10 Aug 2018, 09:21

Since when do we get what we deserve?
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 13 Aug 2018, 10:02

Kipper wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 08:12
This make me nuts. It's why I can't be a church socialite.
kipper, just to put it in context, this is hardly a Mormon thing.

The literary friends of the fictional Job assumed it was Job's fault before God that so much befell him.

Christian Eschatology was a major theme that began with John the Baptist, who is said to have taught: "[One is coming after me whose] winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."

Abraham Lincoln, in his second inaugural address pointed to the irony of two groups both praying to the same God for support against each other, along side the strong hint that the war itself was God's punishment for slavery.

Bottom line, don't let it make you nuts. You're ascribing too much to a FB post to lay this burden at the feet of the Church. In my experience, though I do see this kind of thought process in the Church, it is pretty benign and not universal.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 22 Aug 2018, 20:25

dande48 wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 09:21
Not sure I understand this, meaning you deserve it?

dande48

Post by dande48 » 23 Aug 2018, 06:10

Kipper wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 20:25
dande48 wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 09:21
Not sure I understand this, meaning you deserve it?
Meaning no one really deserves anything.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket