Chosen People

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Kipper

Re: Chosen People

Post by Kipper » 26 May 2018, 22:21

mom3 wrote:
26 May 2018, 16:31
^^^^^^^^^^^ Kipper - I say we make "Not Chosen" shirts.
You're a rascal

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 02 Jun 2018, 15:12

Kipper wrote:
24 May 2018, 18:39
fellow spoke up and exclaimed "...remember now, our missionaries are out there teaching that we are chosen people..." That made me pucker up in several different places. I wanted to say that if you're going to say that, say it with a note of caution not to offend or put us all in a place where bad things can happen. Am I paranoid?
I think we forget what "chosen" means. i would have probably made this point to the person in the class insinuating that because we are members or the church or holders of the priesthood there is some elevated status or specialness to mormons.

Per the Bible Dictionary:
Being an heir to the Abrahamic covenant does not make one a “chosen person” per se but does signify that such are chosen to responsibly carry the gospel to all the peoples of the earth. Abraham’s seed have carried out the missionary activity in all the nations since Abraham’s day. (Matt. 3:9; Abr. 2:9–11.)
We're chosen to go do missionary work, with a promised blessing for doing so. I think missionaries get that wrong a lot and need to be corrected, as do other members of the church.

It's all coming from a very stage 3 construct...us vs them. But it can be conjunctive...anyone can be adopted into the chosen people, there are few exclusions to volunteers that meet the standards.

I think I'll put in an order for the shirt Dande and mom3 are making. I'd rather not be chosen. I'm happy to let others be chosen to do more work.

But for sure...I never want my kids growing up thinking they are more special than non-member friends, or God loves them more. That concept may creep into religious creeds, but it isn't gospel truth.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 02 Jun 2018, 16:59

And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold
-Jesus

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Jun 2018, 17:43

Many are cold but few are frozen.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 02 Jun 2018, 19:01

SamBee wrote:
02 Jun 2018, 17:43
Many are cold but few are frozen.
:clap:
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Jun 2018, 11:39

That was our unofficial motto in my mission (Sapporo, Japan), since we were frozen quite regularly. :D

It was where I learned first-hand that nose hair can freeze.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 Jun 2018, 02:39

Curt Sunshine wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 11:39
That was our unofficial motto in my mission (Sapporo, Japan), since we were frozen quite regularly. :D

It was where I learned first-hand that nose hair can freeze.
Were you in Sapporo during the ice carving festival? It's pretty impressive.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Jun 2018, 20:08

Yes.

Amazing!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 05 Jun 2018, 16:36

“My beloved young brothers and sisters, you are among the best the Lord has ever sent to this world,” Nelson said. “You have the capacity to be smarter and wiser and have more impact on the world than any previous generation!”
The above quote is from the recent youth Address from President Nelson.

I wish we would stop doing this. Is there any doctrinal basis for claiming that the youth of today are "among the best the Lord has ever sent to this world" or that they have greater "capacity" then their forbearers?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Jun 2018, 16:39

Roy wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 16:36
“My beloved young brothers and sisters, you are among the best the Lord has ever sent to this world,” Nelson said. “You have the capacity to be smarter and wiser and have more impact on the world than any previous generation!”
The above quote is from the recent youth Address from President Nelson.

I wish we would stop doing this. Is there any doctrinal basis for claiming that the youth of today are "among the best the Lord has ever sent to this world" or that they have greater "capacity" then their forbearers?
To chuckles, whenever a chosen generation thing is brought up (usually in PH) I throw out something like "I've been hearing this chosen generation thing since I joined the church as a young man in the early 1980s. How many chosen generations can there be?"
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction