Suggested alternatives to McConkie's Mormon Doctrine?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Wonnerful

Suggested alternatives to McConkie's Mormon Doctrine?

Post by Wonnerful » 13 May 2018, 16:25

I want to give a gift to an LDS friend that can replace their Mormon Doctrine by McConkie for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions of a book that is like it?

So far the closest thing I could find is this book https://www.amazon.com/LDS-Beliefs-Doct ... 1609080599 ... But I have no idea what it says on all subjects, and if it's doctrines comport with the new Topical Guide Essays, etc?

Ilovechrist77

Re: Suggested alternatives to McConkie's Mormon Doctrine?

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 13 May 2018, 21:57

I don't have any suggestions, but the book you mentioned looks interesting.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 14 May 2018, 09:01

Wonnerful wrote:
13 May 2018, 16:25
I want to give a gift to an LDS friend that can replace their Mormon Doctrine by McConkie for obvious reasons.
My first thought was this, but then you specified you wanted it to be another book, and now I'm at a loss for what to recommend.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Roy

Post by Roy » 14 May 2018, 09:17

I have read another book by the author Robert Millet.

He seems to approach issues from a practical yet faithful apologetic perspective. He is a fairly prolific author. I remember in the book "What Happened to the Cross?" Bro. Millet's discussion of what makes doctrine in the LDS church. One of the criteria for doctrine that ideas like the Adam-God theory never had was staying power. As if to say, "Throw that idea at the doctrinal wall. If it sticks it is true doctrine - If it falls it never was." A practical approach indeed.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 May 2018, 11:46

DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 May 2018, 14:36

dande48 wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:01
Wonnerful wrote:
My first thought was this, but then you specified you wanted it to be another book, and now I'm at a loss for what to recommend.
:lol: :lol: :clap:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 May 2018, 14:50

Wonnerful wrote:
How about a copy of the LDS canon? I do mean to be flippant. The problem with Mormon Doctrine IMO was that most of what was in there was not really doctrine. There was some actual doctrine but much of it was pseudo-doctrine and some of it was just plain not doctrine - mostly the opinion of McConkie and his cronies. As I thought about this, I realized there's really no way to do a book that purports to expound Mormon doctrine without conjecture, supposition, and speculation - I think it's just human nature. Of course I hold a very limited view of what doctrine actually is, and I think the gospel itself is very simple. The church, on the other hand, can be very complicated and members of the church can make the gospel and doctrine appear much more complicated than it actually is.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 May 2018, 16:56

They can be difficult for some people to understand, but the Givenses books are some of my favorites.

Absolutely anything by Chieko Okazaki is worth giving to a friend, and "Lighten Up" is freaking amazing.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Wonnerful

Post by Wonnerful » 14 May 2018, 18:37

dande48 wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:01
Wonnerful wrote:
That was funny.

Wonnerful

Post by Wonnerful » 14 May 2018, 18:39

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree with what everyone has said basically.