Aussie gov't investigates child worthiness interviews

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Aussie gov't investigates child worthiness interviews

Post by SamBee » 07 May 2018, 04:43

http://amp.smh.com.au/national/mormons- ... 4zddg.html
Australian children as young as 12 are being asked explicit questions about their sexual thoughts and whether they masturbate, as adult male religious figures in the Mormon church use one-on-one interviews to test children's sexual "purity".

The invasive questioning has been described as an "abuse" of children, according to leaked correspondence from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: Aussie gov't investigates child worthiness interviews

Post by Roy » 07 May 2018, 10:58

Reading the article, I feel that both sides are being less than fully unbiased.

For example, I do not think that church doctrine or policy is that M is next to murder in seriousness. I also believe that most bishops would just ask the law of chastity question and move on. I do believe that there was more variation in worthiness interviews in the past - more deviation from the script.

I also felt that the church representative was less than fully open in saying that the interviews provide an opportunity for the youth to talk and that parents are encouraged to be in an adjoining room. I particularly seized on the adjoining room concept as being somewhat misleading. Are there chapels with some sort of waiting room adjoining to the bishops office? I assume most people wait out in the hall or in the foyer depending on the layout of the building. Did the church representative mean "in the general vicinity" when he said "adjoining room" ?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 07 May 2018, 13:08

Roy wrote:
07 May 2018, 10:58
Reading the article, I feel that both sides are being less than fully unbiased.
Agreed Roy - the article seemed a little inflammatory but unfortunately I have to say it rings true with me and is believable. I wonder if teenager worthiness interviews may change dramatically in upcoming years and may become heavily scripted or mere formality, for example like the 8 year old interviews before baptism where nothing difficult is discussed.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 May 2018, 16:14

Roy wrote:

For example, I do not think that church doctrine or policy is that M is next to murder in seriousness. I also believe that most bishops would just ask the law of chastity question and move on. I do believe that there was more variation in worthiness interviews in the past - more deviation from the script.
I don't know. Ever read "The Miracle of Forgiveness"? Scary stuff.
Roy wrote:
I also believe that most bishops would just ask the law of chastity question and move on. I do believe that there was more variation in worthiness interviews in the past - more deviation from the script.
Exactly. I also think that many bishops must be incredibly uncomfortable asking such questions. I wouldn't like to go into big detail about this.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 07 May 2018, 16:56

Question: Where does it talk about an Aussie Goverment investigation? I couldn't find anything on it.

It did sound like it was written by a ex-mormon with unfavorable opinions. Things were exaggerated. On M being next to murder, I'm pretty sure the doctrine states that Sexual Sin is next to shedding innocent blood. They are both "categories" of sin. But that's a little like saying the US government holds the crime of "cat-calling" next to high treason... (which just maybe is starting to feel a little true). In any rate, everyone exaggerates their stories and experiences, including the Church. I don't think it's right, but it's nothing less than I'd expect.
Roadrunner wrote:
07 May 2018, 13:08
... for example like the 8 year old interviews before baptism where nothing difficult is discussed.
I remember with my 8 year old interview, when the bishop asked if there were any serious sins that needed to be resolved by proper authority... that was a VERY difficult question to spring on a kid.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 May 2018, 02:52

A bit of background: the Royal Commission's investigation has been into institutional sex abuse in general, not just LDS.

The Anglican/Episcopal church in Australia is having to sell half of its chapels in Tasmania to pay compensation to abuse victims. Heavy stuff. A lot of these are historic buildings.

http://abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/angli ... ia/9735404

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 08 May 2018, 10:47

dande48 wrote:
07 May 2018, 16:56

I remember with my 8 year old interview, when the bishop asked if there were any serious sins that needed to be resolved by proper authority... that was a VERY difficult question to spring on a kid.
Figures. We'd find a way to screw up an easy, uplifting interview with a 7 year old the week before they are baptized.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 08 May 2018, 16:17

dande48 wrote:
07 May 2018, 16:56
Question: Where does it talk about an Aussie Goverment investigation? I couldn't find an]ything on it.
It's mentioned by name - "The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse". That will be a federal not a state investigation (since Queen Elizabeth is technically head of state - much like Canada). The Commission is not specifically investigating Mormonism, but all major religious bodies and presumably the scouts, schools, children's homes etc are in the mix as well.
It did sound like it was written by a ex-mormon with unfavorable opinions. Things were exaggerated. On M being next to murder, I'm pretty sure the doctrine states that Sexual Sin is next to shedding innocent blood.
Well at least one of those exmos is mentioned. I agree in that sense, it does have that flavor, and it is highly misleading. But then again "Miracle of Forgiveness". I wouldn't recommend that book to anyone.

I don't think most bishops look forward to asking these questions, it's not like they're drooling about the fact they're going to ask some little girl/boy about their pecadillos. A lot of the time it's one vague question about chastity and that's it. If I were a bishop I'd dread it. I'm sure there have been some perverts - but a minority. I don't think it's a good aspect of our church.

Our interviews tend to.yes/no answers. I did have to ask for clarification on a couple of points the first time round.