Poll: Mormon identity and its effect on emotional health

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.

Which option best describes your identity and its effect on you?

I think of myself as a Mormon. Thinking of myself this way brings me more joy than sorrow.
26%
I think of myself as a Mormon. Thinking of myself this way brings me more sorrow than joy.
13%
I think of myself as a Mormon. Thinking of myself this way is too much of a mixed bag to choose one of the previous two options.
43%
I don't think of myself as a Mormon. Thinking of myself this way brings me more joy than sorrow.
4%
I don't think of myself as a Mormon. Thinking of myself this way brings me more sorrow than joy.
No votes
I don't think of myself as a Mormon. Thinking of myself this way is too much of a mixed bag to choose one of the previous two options.
13%

Total votes: 23

Heber13

Re: Poll: Mormon identity and its effect on emotional health

Post by Heber13 » 26 Apr 2018, 22:49

Reuben wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 10:03
I'm running this poll at NOM for comparison. (Feel free to vote both places if you have accounts.) I'm really curious about what I'll find.

The poll is inspired by a few things:
  • Starting to study secular Buddhism
  • Wondering why disaffected members resign, and why they often report such a difference in their well-being when they do
  • Discovering that trying out labels for my beliefs (e.g. "Christian agnostic") seemed to lift an emotional burden
  • Realizing that keeping the identity label "Mormon" causes me to expect things that are unrealistic, which causes sorrow (but not unto resignation)
  • Realizing how far-reaching the effects of all of my identity labels are, and how many of them I have (e.g. husband, father, sibling, Mormon, computer scientist, statistician, American, etc., etc.)
Good job, Reuben. Thanks for doing this.

I mostly think my joy and sorrow is divorced from my tribe being what it is.

The mormon church is what it is. I am who I am.

I set that aside as one observation, then I seek joy and reduce suffering. That is another compartment of my life.

I have felt sorrow as a mormon. I have felt joy in non-mormon life choices. I have felt many joyous mormon experiences. I have had much sorrow with nothing to do with my religion.

I imagine if I was a devout buddhist...I'd have the exact same amount of joy and sadness in my life because of my inner struggles. It is how I use the religion that matters to me. Life isn't all about religion. I am striving to put church into perspective in my life...god and happiness go way beyond church and religion for me. But mormonism works too. I seem to be fine with it.

Thanks for starting a good thread.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 03 May 2018, 18:10

If you think of yourself as a Mormon, are there one or more identities you world rather have? If so, what?

* Christian. Not a very good one or confident one.
* Protestant. My family background.
* My national and local backgrounds.

My main stresses as a Christian and a Mormon derive from the following:

* My cowardice.
* My own failings.
* The fact some people associate my membership with my failings.
* The behavior of other people calling themselves such.
* The false ideas many non-members have about the church.
* The increase in toxic and unpleasant forms of atheism.
* The fact some people think all Mormons are uneducated fools, totally gullible or the whole thing is false.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 May 2018, 05:34

SamBee wrote:
03 May 2018, 18:10
If you think of yourself as a Mormon, are there one or more identities you world rather have? If so, what?
Culturally:
Mormon, mom, Grandchild of 3 alcoholics, "Odd one out", quasi-hermit, humanist, oldest of 9 children (so matured early and fairly responsible), American, poor (aspiring to middle class).

Biologically:
Female, Asperger's Autism description (including anxiety, and black or white thinking)

Religious:
Agnostic - I think there is a lot more we don't know about God than what we do know/believe.
Christian - I think I want to believe in Jesus Christ the way I used to, but I struggle. When I read the scriptures that are supposed to testify of Jesus Christ and God's plan for us, I wind up taking away more understanding of the prophet writing them and seeing the prophet, the writing or what have you and not seeing Jesus Christ.

For me, I have enough on my plate figuring out how to make the best choices in my life and why to worry about what others are thinking/saying (with the exception of my husband to a certain extent). I expect others to be baffled by my choices regularly - and so far I have not been disappointed in t his area :P