Getting ordained online

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Getting ordained online

Post by Old-Timer »

If essentially anyone can marry anyone and have it be accepted by the government (if there aren't solid guidelines), there are trafficking groups that could perform civil marriages that would legitimize non-consensual arrangements.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Roy

Post by Roy »

SilentDawning wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 14:56 What do you mean by a non-consensual marriage?
There are also situations where a teenage girl impregnated through statutory rape (baby's father is older)is pressured by family into marriage. The reasoning is to have the baby in wedlock and to shield the baby's father because prosecutors will rarely go after the statutory rapist after a marriage is solemnized.

I am not sure if "getting ordained online" plays into this. In the article I was reading these families would travel to states where a minor can marry with parental consent. It sounded like they were going through a justice of the peace. As long as both parties say "I do," (and do not look terrified in their facial and body language expressions) I do not think there is too much probing going on.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

Roy wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 08:45
SilentDawning wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 14:56 What do you mean by a non-consensual marriage?
There are also situations where a teenage girl impregnated through statutory rape (baby's father is older)is pressured by family into marriage. The reasoning is to have the baby in wedlock and to shield the baby's father because prosecutors will rarely go after the statutory rapist after a marriage is solemnized.

I am not sure if "getting ordained online" plays into this. In the article I was reading these families would travel to states where a minor can marry with parental consent. It sounded like they were going through a justice of the peace. As long as both parties say "I do," (and do not look terrified in their facial and body language expressions) I do not think there is too much probing going on.
Very insightful.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster »

SamBee wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 06:01 I would look into who you get the ordination off - you don't want your name linked with the next death cult
I did sign up for two different ones, one a very general universal type online church and the other was a themed (not to be taken seriously, but it's still legal). Figure I've got my bases covered there.
SilentDawning wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 13:51 I think it's a nice counter balance to the travesty of the one year waiting period. I'd do it. Bishops perform civil weddings when asked...the reason they can do it is they are recognized as ministers by the legal system, so why can't you also become legal and not be dissing the priesthood?
In my mind, I had to separate the priesthood which I hold from the legal right to officiate a marriage, straight to your point.
Roy wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 09:15 This is perfect. I no longer view my priesthood authority as anything supernatural - but I do crave to be an important part of key milestones for my kids/family. Baptizing my kids was precious to me. Annual school year blessings are meaningful to me. I believe that if you strip out all the wording of "By the power and authority of the holy M.P.", these moments are still precious and meaningful. I am glad that you are able to serve your brother in this way. carry on. :thumbup:
Perfect! You're right, when I look back, all of the blessings that I've given, baptisms, these were all service. The priesthood is service.
Old Timer wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:52 My only concern is the possibility of "easy authority" being used to perform non-consensual marriages on the sly. That is a real concern for me, but I still see no problem in members being able to perform civil ceremonies, as long as the civil authorities have authorized it. That is their call, not mine.
Old Timer wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 16:32 If essentially anyone can marry anyone and have it be accepted by the government (if there aren't solid guidelines), there are trafficking groups that could perform civil marriages that would legitimize non-consensual arrangements.
Roy wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 08:45 As long as both parties say "I do," (and do not look terrified in their facial and body language expressions) I do not think there is too much probing going on.
Essentially most States and counties do not require a lot of background from the officiator, but they do require the proper licensing and paperwork (and fees) from the couple. The marriage application must be filled out beforehand and submitted afterwards etc. The officiator is then the one responsible for making sure the paperwork is completed.

I'll let you know as we go through this of there's some loophole where I could marry someone without their consent, but I doubt it.

Maybe I could marry two fence posts 😂

If you remember that old mission Urban legend...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.
NightSG

Post by NightSG »

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 15:04Essentially most States and counties do not require a lot of background from the officiator, but they do require the proper licensing and paperwork (and fees) from the couple.
This. IIRC, at least a few places the only requirements from the officiant are being of age to sign the paperwork, and signing a second document affirming that the officiant will not sign if there is any indication that either party is incompetent to enter into marriage or being coerced.
LDS_Scoutmaster

NightSG wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 09:04 This. IIRC, at least a few places the only requirements from the officiant are being of age to sign the paperwork, and signing a second document affirming that the officiant will not sign if there is any indication that either party is incompetent to enter into marriage or being coerced.
You're right, everything I've read so far indicates that the laws vary by county, but here in California (it is covered under Family Law) anyone over 18 can perform the marriage. Without ordination, you can pay a fee to be deputized for the day, or do an online free ordination and skip the fee. The main legal function is that of having each person declare their intent to marry (so coersion could still happen without the officiants knowledge), have witnesses and couple sign documents, and be the paperwork filer. I found nothing (or California at least) about additional documents for the incompetence/coersion, but as I dig deeper I'll find out.

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.
NightSG

Post by NightSG »

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 10:45You're right, everything I've read so far indicates that the laws vary by county, but here in California (it is covered under Family Law) anyone over 18 can perform the marriage. Without ordination, you can pay a fee to be deputized for the day, or do an online free ordination and skip the fee. The main legal function is that of having each person declare their intent to marry (so coersion could still happen without the officiants knowledge), have witnesses and couple sign documents, and be the paperwork filer. I found nothing (or California at least) about additional documents for the incompetence/coersion, but as I dig deeper I'll find out.
Sometimes the stringency of the requirements is a function of how hard it is to get an annulment after the fact; in places where it's quick and easy, they're less concerned about vetting everything beforehand.
Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

After I was realsed as Bishop a lady in my ward waned me to preform the wedding of her daughter. Since I was no longer a bishop I had to go to the court house and get "deputized" as a county clerk for one day so I could perform it. It was $75 here in California which the mother of the bride paid
LDS_Scoutmaster

NightSG wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 11:55 ...in places where it's quick and easy, they're less concerned about vetting everything beforehand.
California loves their divorce laws
Sheldon wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 19:53 After I was realsed as Bishop a lady in my ward waned me to preform the wedding of her daughter. Since I was no longer a bishop I had to go to the court house and get "deputized" as a county clerk for one day so I could perform it. It was $75 here in California which the mother of the bride paid
I may have done that had I looked into it more thoroughly, but I signed up already on two sites, and hey I'm cheap. Still, glad I'm not the bishop :)