Getting ordained online

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
LDS_Scoutmaster

Getting ordained online

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster »

Got an interesting one here. My brother (not a member, non-religious) is getting married next year, and asked me to perform the marriage. I am 'the religious / spiritual one' in my family. I looked online and there are hundreds of sites that will, in the eyes of the state, 'ordain' you. Once ordained, I could perform the marriage.

Now I am looking online, and there are hundreds of sites that I can obtain an ordination for free. So now I will find one that aligns with my feelings and get 'dual ordained' (?)

I guess I have heard about this before, but never really thought about it, because well, no one has ever asked me to perform a marriage. I thought I might have a bit of a clash of conscience here as I take my ordination to the m.priesthood seriously, and thought if I sign up for one of these would i be betraying my priesthood? Then I thought about it some more, and here I have the opportunity to be a part of my brother's wedding in a special way that he asked me to. I get to perform a union between two people I love, who love each other; in the eyes of god or in the eyes of the state, it really doesn't matter. I'll be marrying them according to the laws of the land for long as they remain together. I will treat it with respect and hope that their marriage lasts.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.
Reflexzero

Re: Getting ordained online

Post by Reflexzero »

My former bishop and stake president got a permit to be a celebrant to conduct secular (non-religious) funerals at a funeral home. Makes a decent fee, and doesn’t seem bothered by it in the least.
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

I think as long as you are not joining another religion then the church I don't think is involved. They do consider joining another church grounds for getting exed.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Just because Robert Kirby has done it doesn't mean it gives us a pass, but Kirby did do and performed a gay marriage (according to a column he once wrote).

My own point of view is that I don't think doing this would be an affront to the priesthood, all it really does is give you the legal right to perform marriages as opposed to the religious right to do so (although some might dispute that you don't have the religious right). In another thread related to marriage I didn't talk about mu conundrum on the subject of legal versus religious marriage. I actually see marriage as a religious rite and from that point of view the government should get out of the marriage business. Marriage licenses are after all just another tax. On the other hand, for other purposes, perhaps more especially in the US, it might be important to be able to have legal proof of marriage and even the church uses terminology like "legally and lawfully" married. If that's the case there's not need for a religious rite. In reality for the present there appears to be the need for both the government to be involved and for those who are religious a Godly rite. To some extent the church walks a fine line there but is probably better prepared to get out of the marriage business than most other churches - we could be in the sealing business and marriage could be all just a legal thing (and I believe there are some in the church who already see it this way). The latter would be fine with me - we don't do marriages, we only seal those who are legally and lawfully wedded. Coming full circle, if being legally and lawfully wed is all that's really required then it wouldn't seem to matter much how that happens.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster »

Reflexzero wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 18:31 My former bishop and stake president got a permit to be a celebrant to conduct secular (non-religious) funerals at a funeral home. Makes a decent fee, and doesn’t seem bothered by it in the least.
My understanding is that these ordinations would cover marriages funerals Etc, but since I wouldn't be doing it for monetary reasons I would be avoiding the accusation of 'priestcraft' by some. I wouldn't consider it that myself, I've had friends who were bartenders and active members at the same time. I know I'm making a loose connection there.
LookingHard wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 18:44 I think as long as you are not joining another religion then the church I don't think is involved. They do consider joining another church grounds for getting exed.
Some of these online ordinations want you to except and adhere to their tenants, which some I may not agree with, so I want to find one that is more Universal, General.
DarkJedi wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 19:58 ... legal versus religious marriage.
I grew up with the notion that marriage was a Godly thing, the lawful part hadn't really entered my mind. I see the legal side as well and still think that marriage is more a religious rite than a legal one.

During The Proposition 8 thing here in California this came to the front of all of our minds as we headed to find for herself what marriage was and where we stood on the issue. At the time I supported Prop 8 as I looked at it as a religious rite, and the laws here in California at least covered domestic partners with the same laws as that of a married couple. So the issue wasn't really an issue for me at the time, since all of the rights for the same regardless of what kind of Union you were in. I don't think I would wholeheartedly support The Prop 8 issue now as I did then.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

I would look into who you get the ordination off - you don't want your name linked with the next death cult
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

I think it's a nice counter balance to the travesty of the one year waiting period. I'd do it. Bishops perform civil weddings when asked...the reason they can do it is they are recognized as ministers by the legal system, so why can't you also become legal and not be dissing the priesthood?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
Roy

Post by Roy »

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 17:00 Then I thought about it some more, and here I have the opportunity to be a part of my brother's wedding in a special way that he asked me to. I get to perform a union between two people I love, who love each other; in the eyes of god or in the eyes of the state, it really doesn't matter. I'll be marrying them according to the laws of the land for long as they remain together. I will treat it with respect and hope that their marriage lasts.
This is perfect. I no longer view my priesthood authority as anything supernatural - but I do crave to be an important part of key milestones for my kids/family. Baptizing my kids was precious to me. Annual school year blessings are meaningful to me. I believe that if you strip out all the wording of "By the power and authority of the holy M.P.", these moments are still precious and meaningful. I am glad that you are able to serve your brother in this way. carry on. :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

I have said for many years that we ought to encourage ALL fathers, not just Mormon fathers, to give their children father's blessings - simply removing the mention of Priesthood. I believe the same about mother's blessings.

Likewise, as long as there is no official religious affiliation involved, I see no problem whatsoever with being ordained to perform civilly-binding marriages. It's not like Justices of the Peace have any religious affiliation requirements.

My only concern is the possibility of "easy authority" being used to perform non-consensual marriages on the sly. That is a real concern for me, but I still see no problem in members being able to perform civil ceremonies, as long as the civil authorities have authorized it. That is their call, not mine.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

Old Timer wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:52 My only concern is the possibility of "easy authority" being used to perform non-consensual marriages on the sly.
What do you mean by a non-consensual marriage?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers