Island of Misfit Toys

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Island of Misfit Toys

Post by SamBee » 13 Apr 2018, 09:57

Beefster wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 07:08
SamBee wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 06:32
Beefster wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 19:44

I guess I'm the poster child for "Curiosity Killed the Cat"

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it also invented nuclear physics. It's a double edged sword I'll take any day.
Nuclear physics kills cats too. Remember Schrödinger.
That's quantum mechanics.
A subdivision of physics.

But in all seriousness I would put good money on some branch of that discipline wiping us out - either in a nuclear war or some event we won't be prepared for, triggered by an ill judged experiment. It would certainly explain the Fermi Paradox. Maybe most intelligent aliens die out that way.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dande48

Post by dande48 » 13 Apr 2018, 11:05

SamBee wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 09:57
But in all seriousness I would put good money on some branch of that discipline wiping us out - either in a nuclear war or some event we won't be prepared for, triggered by an ill judged experiment.
My money is on extra-dimensional horrors breaking through the seams of reality.
"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy. "
-Albert Campus

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 Apr 2018, 12:50

I have been active all my life and held/hold local leadership callings pretty much my entire life. I also have seen lots of things differently than most people around me pretty much my entire life. My parents accepted that early, and I learned to accept being a misfit toy.

Frankly, I didn't think of the rejection aspect in the movie when the term first was used here years ago. I guess I would modify it from an "Island of Misfit Toys" populated by "rejects" to simply a group of toys who don't fit fully into their tribe and might or might not feel rejected in some way.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Apr 2018, 20:15

I tried to post a meme, but Nibbler is going to have to rescue me.

I believe I am more Hermie the Elf - I'm Independent.

And I am happy - not a misfit, just a person who knows themselves. That I always have been. My heart is pretty clear for me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Apr 2018, 04:43

Is misfit a positive term? Do we all have to come off a supply line or mold?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 14 Apr 2018, 06:56

The dictionary definition is:
verb:
1.to fit badly.

noun:
2.something that fits badly, as a garment that is too large or too small.

3.a person who is not suited or is unable to adjust to the circumstances of his or her particular situation:
a misfit in one's job.

In all (3) cases, it is not positive.
I would prefer it meant: to not fit the norm. Or, to think outside the box.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Apr 2018, 12:33

Dictionary definition and essentially meaningless. I remember once someone asking me why I didn't conform.

"Conform to what?" I responded and I never got asked that question again.
Last edited by SamBee on 14 Apr 2018, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Apr 2018, 13:19

I fit into a comprehensive orchestra or choir - unless the conductor decides I don't.

Individual conductors (and group members) see different parameters for appropriate instrument and voice part "fits". Thus, we have leadership roulette.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Rebel

Post by Rebel » 17 Apr 2018, 11:35

I have always been a Misfit . I get along with others but am quiet and not challenging to others . I have always been different even in the military I never seem to fit in but I enjoy being part of this group on this nice island !