Kirby and misplaced faith

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: Kirby and misplaced faith

Post by Roy » 09 Apr 2018, 10:45

richalger wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 09:03
What do you do to help those around you and yourself center your faith in Christ?

What are some examples of placing faith in something other than God?
For me my faith was shattered as a result of losing a child to stillbirth. I had placed my faith in the twin pillars of tithing and what I felt was fulfilled priesthood duty. I had faith in "binding" the Lord through obedience. I believe that this was misplaced faith.

Since then, I have developed hope and faith in a God that knows, accepts, and loves me. I am inspired by the possibility that God became man and then offered himself as a sacrifice on my behalf. So full was his love that he could not bear to cut me off and cast me out as a deserved and just consequence for my failings.

I do not expect God to interfere in the details of life (including to bless us that we might travel home safely). I do believe that God can speak love and comfort to our hearts in times of distress. I also believe that God can help (inspire) us to act in more loving ways towards his fellow children.
What do you do to help those around you and yourself center your faith in Christ?
I suppose that because my faith is centered on God's love (personified in JC), I try to extend and reflect that love for others. If I can see another person through charity and give them compassion and respect despite their appearance or circumstances, It helps me to have faith and confidence that God might view me in the same way.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

richalger

Post by richalger » 09 Apr 2018, 12:33

Roy wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 10:45
For me my faith was shattered as a result of losing a child to stillbirth. I had placed my faith in the twin pillars of tithing and what I felt was fulfilled priesthood duty. I had faith in "binding" the Lord through obedience. I believe that this was misplaced faith.

Since then, I have developed hope and faith in a God that knows, accepts, and loves me. I am inspired by the possibility that God became man and then offered himself as a sacrifice on my behalf. So full was his love that he could not bear to cut me off and cast me out as a deserved and just consequence for my failings.

I do not expect God to interfere in the details of life (including to bless us that we might travel home safely). I do believe that God can speak love and comfort to our hearts in times of distress. I also believe that God can help (inspire) us to act in more loving ways towards his fellow children.
Thank you for sharing.

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 09 Apr 2018, 14:28

I taught a lesson in RS yesterday similar to this topic, based off the talk from October 2016 GC: Turn to the Lord. The central question, for me, was: "How do we respond when events, often out of our control, alter the life we had planned or hoped for?"

One woman's comments were along the lines of: "God never asks us to have faith in anything other than in Him; not in events, not in people, not in life paths, not in careers, nothing. Nothing except Him." Which is what Kirby is saying, as I interpret it. There is a large extent that I agree with both of them. It has been a difficult pill for me to swallow that other people, even my parents, taught me what they know, but it taught and fostered me to put my faith in things besides God. And WHEN those things failed, my faith took a beating. Which is understandable because I never knew how to manage such deep disappointment or how to more responsible for my beliefs. Partly because of being young, inexperienced and partly because of immaturity.

On the other hand, agreeing with Nibbler, it's difficult to fully do this especially in a church that claims to be organizationally perfect and the only imperfect things are the humans. I still don't understand how an organization run by humans can be anything but human. "The Church is headed by Christ" is a great example of why it's difficult to not misplace our faith. We are encouraged to do so nearly every Sunday, and in every manual. Additionally, I find it paradoxical to try and trust God when I sometimes (oftentimes?) don't know how to trust my interpretation of God or when He speaks to me.

What another woman commented helps with the above conundrum: "We're not on a path TO God, we're on a path WITH God." Perhaps having faith in God is simply believing that at the end of the day and at the end of our lives, we will not be left to our own devices or by ourselves; that there is always more if we believe and try to find it.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

Roy

Post by Roy » 09 Apr 2018, 15:27

DancingCarrot wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 14:28
"How do we respond when events, often out of our control, alter the life we had planned or hoped for?"
Yes! I need more lessons like this.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13