One Year Waiting Period Work Around

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

One Year Waiting Period Work Around

Post by SilentDawning » 04 Apr 2018, 07:17

I thought of this work around for the one year waiting period for temple marriage if you get a civil wedding first.

Why not do this?

I just had an idea. Sure they make you wait a year if you get a civil wedding. Why can't you do this?

1. Get married in the temple with a priesthood holder officiating. This is an official wedding. File the docs with the court.

2. Then, find a non-member to marry you civilly afterwards. Two wedding ceremonies are recorded on the same day with the court records. It's the same two people as bride and groom, so I don't see anything illegal about it. Each officiator doesn't have to know that the other was involved.

The rule is "if you get a civil wedding, you have to wait a year to get married in the temple". There is no rule or policy about what happens if you get a civil wedding right after temple wedding. There is no waiting period, right? Because people assume it's over. but it's not over if you're not over with it yet.

It's something a lawyer might have to comment on. It might cause some administrative hassles with the court, but I think that might be worked out. heck you did it TWICE, so it means you are both into it -- your wife and husband.

I don't know how the church would react -- I would be surprised if they would impose discipline on you for that -- if they even found out about it.

What would the problem be?

I wish I'd thought of that years ago.

SD
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

dande48

Re: One Year Waiting Period Work Around

Post by dande48 » 04 Apr 2018, 07:47

Been there, done that.

Some traditional members will complain that it takes away from the legitimacy of the temple ceremony, but I've heard of no real repercussions.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 04 Apr 2018, 07:56

SilentDawning wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 07:17
1. Get married in the temple with a priesthood holder officiating. This is an official wedding. File the docs with the court.
Are you talking a civil ceremony in the temple? How would you set it up?

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Apr 2018, 09:10

Perhaps a ring ceremony afterward would be the easiest route.

It is still somewhat discouraged officially by the church but is common enough as to not be that big of a deal (especially if the bride or groom have a large percentage of non-member family).
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 04 Apr 2018, 09:30

dande48 wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 07:47
Been there, done that.

Some traditional members will complain that it takes away from the legitimacy of the temple ceremony, but I've heard of no real repercussions.
I have heard this line of thinking. Even to the point where "you MUST be CLEAR in the ring ceremony that it is NOT the wedding." But that was more of a cultural item, not something you could get ex'ed over. Every time I have seen this it was the bishop officiating, so they stuck to the script.
But what you are proposing is going way beyond that.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 04 Apr 2018, 09:33

Doesn't apply in my country. The wedding has to be open for witnesses or for people to come in and object (although that rarely happens)

Here you have to be married civilly first, then rush to the temple.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2018, 12:18

My son was married in the temple, then they had a ring ceremony at a church where my daughter-in-law's mother lived. I got to officiate, and lots of there friends were there. It was wonderful.

I wish they would eliminate the waiting period. As Sam said, it doesn't apply world-wide, so, doctrinally, it is expendable.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 04 Apr 2018, 15:56

AmyJ wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 07:56
SilentDawning wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 07:17
Are you talking a civil ceremony in the temple? How would you set it up?
No, I am talking about a legally binding, civil wedding held right after the legally binding temple wedding. This allows both non-member and member families to experience the wedding in a way that is meaningful to them -- without excluding either group.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 04 Apr 2018, 16:53

This is a very interesting idea. I'm curious to hear from an attorney if a 2nd legal marriage on the same day actually means anything, or if it's a ring ceremony from the law's perspective.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 04 Apr 2018, 17:16

I wish I had done this. Many in my family couldn't understand why they could not attend, and I was too oblivious at the time, as the only thing that mattered to me was I was marrying the most amazing girl in the world.

I didn't realize till years later how my grandmother really wanted to be there. The reception was nice, and I justified it that way. I don't know if given the option I would have even considered doing a ceremony afterwards as well.

I think that's a great idea though and would solve the issue. My old TMB thinking would have stated that it diminishes the temple ceremony, but my current mindset is if you really believe in the temple ceremony there would be no way of diminishing it by having a civil ceremony afterwards.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.