Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Sheldon

Re: Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Post by Sheldon » 02 Apr 2018, 13:37

So, as I interpret the new program, if you "Like" somebodies Facebook post, that can count as "Ministering" Same with a "Heart" on Instagram. I love this! :lol:

Roy

Re: Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Post by Roy » 02 Apr 2018, 16:05

Sheldon. I "Heart" your post! :D
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Apr 2018, 17:41

No, since that is what I have been doing and suggesting for a long time.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 02 Apr 2018, 17:54

One of my friends said he was sad they took away the honking option.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Apr 2018, 16:44

I haven't read all the comments, I'm trying to play catch up.

Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?
No, probably not.

I've seen how other churches come together to help people when they need something. Our church does a good job of this as well. When someone is going through a rough patch the church comes together to fix meals, give rides, etc. I think the old HT program created this expectation where we created busywork in the form of lots and lots of visits. Maybe the new program moves us more towards what other churches do? Mobilizing when needed as opposed to tiring because we're always being mobile.

Time will tell.

Here's the deal though. There are a few things I didn't like about HT that remain.

1) Assignments: I'm an introvert. Assigned friends don't work. Assigning me to be someone's friend isn't going to work and assigning someone to be my friend isn't going to work. Assigning me to be someone's companion to go fulfill an assignment doesn't work either. Everything about assignments is a a hurdle for me and it's assignment all the way down.

I get why they do assignments, so no one falls through the cracks. It's just that as an extreme introvert it violates what's at the core of how I form and maintain friendships. That's me. That's okay. If you want to minister to me don't obligate me to participate in this new program.

2) Reporting: Again, I get why they do this. To ensure no one's needs slip through the cracks. I'm a little uncomfortable with reporting on things my friends tell me and I'm uncomfortable with my 'ministering angels' giving a report on my family. IMO that's not what friendships are about. Sharing intimate things with people that get blabbed up some chain. Nope.

It probably won't work that way, it will probably only be a mechanism for relating needs, but who knows? I need intimate friends and I don't know that I can be intimate with a person that is expected to report on how I'm doing.

And interviews now? That feels like more work for the leaders and an opportunity for even more coercion to be applied.

- - -

And what of this? I minister to people. Some are not members of my ward, some aren't even members of the church. They have needs, I'm there for them in a true ministry. But that doesn't "count" and when I say "count" in this context I don't mean get the peer kudos for being a good participant in a church program, I mean if I wear myself out ministering to people outside my assignments I'm considered derelict in my official duties and I'm admonished to complete my assignments in the future.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like my ministering to be more organic and less rule bound. Where artificial boundaries of wards and membership are set up.

Don't get the wrong impression, I love that they're at least trying something new. Props where props are due. It's just that for me, I'm going to continue to minister in my way. Maybe ignore the reporting and just try to be there for people, regardless of assignment.

I may give this the old college try but there's a reason I am the way I am. My ward is already treating the new program like a more laborious flavor of home teaching. There was a real:

Home teaching is dead! Long live home teaching! moment in my ward. I hope this is more than a name change, time will tell.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel... that makes me feel ANGRY!
— Robot Devil