Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Apr 2018, 16:37

So, we are now a combined EQ composed of both HP and Elders. WE no longer report home teaching, only leaders report whether interviews were held to determine the needs of the families assigned to us. Adult women and young women also minister.

Will this change your personal engagement with the ministering aspect of church service? I am sitting here deciding if it will change mine.

I personally stopped caring about success given the reporting system we used to have. I rejected and decided I didn't care if the organization measures me successful or not. But I got tired of the grind of it. I have someone I phone once a month but we had little to talk about. Now when I think of doing it, it seems awkward so it's been Christmas since I last contacted him.

The others on my list -- mostly inactive or long-time friendly but aren't interested in the church.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

DarkJedi

Re: Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2018, 16:48

It will probably change mine some. I already have the agreement with my active families (two) that I will not make a monthly visit. They know, however, if they need something I'll do what I can to help. I talk to them at church, sometimes text, speak on the phone once in awhile, and we've sometimes done things socially. It works for all of us. (I have the same agreement with my HT and told him to just count me as visited every month.) That will probably not change. What may change is how I interact with those who are not active who I currently do nothing with/for. Now that it's totally kosher I may reach out to them in some other way.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Re: Will the new ministering program change your level of engagement with "ministering"?

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Apr 2018, 17:07

I will probably whittle my list down even further. If I have to be on call with people, like the story Elder Holland gave, I will need that flexibility. I would also like to be on call for specific families that I feel a natural connection with.

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 01 Apr 2018, 19:33

I guess I'm not sure what's changing. Instead of having a list of families to visit, we're assigned persons to "minister" to. Instead of having a monthly or quarterly PPI with quorum or group leaders we'll be having quarterly meetings to report on persons needs. Instead of being mindful of families needs we're to be mindful of persons needs so we can "minister" to them. Instead of families having HTs and VTs assigned they'll have someone from the EQ and RS called to look after them. I'm not trying to be difficult or snarky but just what is changing?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Apr 2018, 19:52

I think it will remove a HUGE burden of guilt over not being able to get into so many people's houses every. single. month - and I see that as a MAJOR change.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

QuestionAbound

Post by QuestionAbound » 01 Apr 2018, 20:01

For what it's worth:

Years ago my husband had major, life-saving, emergency surgery.
It was a scary time for us and life stopped dead still while we waited and worried and healed during his week-long stay at the hospital and 6-month recovery time at home.

In that time, he received a number of hand-written cards and letters from strangers - all wishing him well and letting him know that they were praying for his recovery.

Why? Because his SIL, who is a member of another church, put his name and address on their prayer list in their prayer/cheer group. Sure enough, this church (not in our city) had a prayer/cheer group and when a parishioner knew of a need, they would add the name and sometimes the address to the group's list. The group members then chose how to respond to the need. In my husband's case, they sent letters and cards. At first I was a little put-off, but I it didn't take long and I honestly felt love from my brothers and sisters in Christ not just for my husband, but for my family as well.

THAT was ministering in my opinion and I was so grateful for it.

If that is the kind of ministering we can participate in, I'm all for it.

It's been fun to watch my facebook feed fill with tongue-in-cheek comments about how thrilled the sisters and brothers are to have a new program.

It seems like being given "permission" to just be a friend is what was needed. Being a ministering brother/sister...having a ministry...that "feels" like something to many people, I think.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Apr 2018, 20:08

Not mine. I have been giving and receiving like this for 3 or 4 years. I am ahead of the curve.

It took my visiting teachers a bit to get used to it, but now we are pros.

I also announced a million times over that I preferred visiting friending to visiting teaching. I get taught all the time. I could read the message myself. I wanted friends or carer's, not tutors.

I am happy to hear the entire church is joining me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Apr 2018, 03:35

No idea, I'll take it as it comes.

My main concern is it may cause some people to quit visiting altogother.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 02 Apr 2018, 03:50

I am kind of with GBSmith thinking, "So what has changed?" They are backing off on the 1 visit per month assumption (partially because the stats were a bit depressing AND many active members felt it was not helping their family) and they are backing off the reporting. So maybe it has reduced the guilt over HT/VT (which is good), but I don't see it as all that much of change - certainly not a huge revelation from on high.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 02 Apr 2018, 05:50

Curt Sunshine wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 19:52
I think it will remove a HUGE burden of guilt over not being able to get into so many people's houses every. single. month - and I see that as a MAJOR change.
They have removed the following things I have experienced first hand.

1. Hometeaching Success Defined by a Single Number and a Strict Criterion

In the past, home teaching "success" was defined as whether you saw the family in the home and read the FP message. It completely ignored the fact that there are two variables -- the agency of the HT and the agency of the family. Everyone was held accountable for 100% home teaching. What a crappy system where you NEVER feel successful given the need to be RESPECTFUL of people's desired level of contact.

This irked me for years. HOlding ME, The HPGL for 100% home teaching when to do that, I*'d have to trample on the level of contact the families I am supposed to be serving actually wanted.

2. Priesthood Leaders (Stake) Raking You Over the Coals for a Single Number

We got called to repentance on home teaching because the SP didn't do their home work about our efforts. It was only in Ward Conferences where they, after raking us over the coals about HT got the full story. I remember them telling me I had work to do in cleaning the records because we had 99 prospective elders and only 1 active. No, I said, I had notes on every one of them and gave examples of why they weren't coming. THEN they understood.

Now, they are focusing on whether the leaders are meeting with the members to find out what the needs are. So, the requirement is to communicate with the members about needs and bubble them up and make sure they are being met. A more outcomes based way of doing HT.

3. More people ministering

Now YW are also ministering. I don't know how effective this will be, but in wards with mature YW it may work to spread around the load.

4. Contact allowed via any means that fits the needs of the family.

No more annoying visits to people who don't want them. A phone call is allowed, an email, chat, video -- you name it.

I hope they refine this as the organization learns, but it's a step in the right direction.

I simply wish it was voluntary now rather than assigned.
Last edited by SilentDawning on 02 Apr 2018, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.