Did this conference give you hope?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Did this conference give you hope?

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Apr 2018, 15:01

This conference has given me hope for myself and the church as a whole.

They made some rather large changes in an apparently short period of time after RMN's installation as prophet. Some of these may have been in the works for the longest time, before TSM's death, but nonetheless, it was a rapid fire of changes that I think are positive. Do they read STayLDS perhaps? Surely I jest!

it gave me hope that maybe, just maybe, we can develop into a church that is responsive to the needs of the members first, even if it means reversing time honored policy deemed "revelation".

I now have hope that the FP will address:

1. The gnawing boredom of our Sunday experience.
2. Lack of resources dedicated to LDS Social Services, particularly in the area of personal couselling. Bishops' and SP's don't ahve a clue what to say in this regard on so many issues. I would not ask any of them for help with my own problems.
3. Overworked Bishops and SP's who can't give decent service to their members when there are legitimate needs.

More talks from Uchdorft on fixing the problematic areas of our culture....or from even more orthodox apostles.

But I do have a greater sense of hope that the leadership will continue to show some humility in recognizing those areas of our church that don't work, and make adjustments accordingly.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

SamBee

Re: Did this conference give you hope?

Post by SamBee » 01 Apr 2018, 15:29

I attended two sessions. Didn't see DFU speak once. 🙄
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Apr 2018, 16:44

He spoke in the last session. Affirmed his commitment to RMN and his calling as Apostle. For anyone who saw his new role as a demotion, I guess.

But what else can he do? He can't go and sulk and at his age and in his position. If I were him I'd settle into my new role and put as much effort into it as I felt I could.

Good talk on Christ alone. He got academic in my mind talking about the distinction of Beholdening Christ versus simply being aware of him. But he gave a decent talk. No peaches to the fringe crowd, just a straight doctrinal talk.

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 02 Apr 2018, 05:18

SilentDawning wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 16:44
He spoke in the last session. Affirmed his commitment to RMN and his calling as Apostle. For anyone who saw his new role as a demotion, I guess.

But what else can he do? He can't go and sulk and at his age and in his position. If I were him I'd settle into my new role and put as much effort into it as I felt I could.

Good talk on Christ alone. He got academic in my mind talking about the distinction of Beholdening Christ versus simply being aware of him. But he gave a decent talk. No peaches to the fringe crowd, just a straight doctrinal talk.
I enjoyed his talk a lot, it gave me some food for thought about the role of Jesus Christ in my life. I was struck by how relatively relaxed he looked.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 02 Apr 2018, 05:38

Personally, my main issues with the Church revolve largely around Church History, authority, and the emphasis on Truth. If it weren't for those, I could come to terms with many of the socio-political issues most people on here deal with, and would probably still be a TBM. I feel happy for the Church. I'm excited to see how this policy experiment unfolds. But I wouldn't call it hope.

I did really enjoy Uchtdorf's talk. While I understand the public face of a wise man might be very different from how they really feel, I honestly don't believe Uchtdorf feels his change in position as a demotion. I honestly feel like he sustains and supports President Nelson 100%. I also am happy President Nelson became the new prophet. Once again, I wouldn't call it hope or optimism. But I do have very positive feelings towards him and his leadership. As a whole, I think he will do very well and has my sustaining vote. I'm excited to see what the future holds for the Church.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 02 Apr 2018, 09:31

dande48 wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 05:38
I did really enjoy Uchtdorf's talk. While I understand the public face of a wise man might be very different from how they really feel, I honestly don't believe Uchtdorf feels his change in position as a demotion. I honestly feel like he sustains and supports President Nelson 100%. I also am happy President Nelson became the new prophet. Once again, I wouldn't call it hope or optimism. But I do have very positive feelings towards him and his leadership. As a whole, I think he will do very well and has my sustaining vote. I'm excited to see what the future holds for the Church.
I also liked Uchtdorf's talk very much - it is my favorite talk of the conference. I've given the above a little bit of thought. I think my days on the high council are numbered, so I have given some consideration to what callings I might be willing to accept or at least consider when that day comes. One possible calling is counselor to our bishop. I really do like my bishop, he is very down to earth, only 2 of his 6 adult children are active, he's been down and out so he knows what it's like, etc. I do sustain/support him as bishop. On the other hand, I try not to get "cornered" by him because he'll talk your ear off with stories that you've mostly heard before. From friends (including one of his counselors) who have been to ward council, etc., with him the meetings are the same way - extremely inefficient and repetitive. And he's a lot more orthodox than I am and doesn't tend to take counsel. I would refuse the calling to be his counselor based on those reasons. Maybe there was a bit of that with Uchtdorf - maybe he's happier not being that closely related to the conservative Nelson and Oaks. Maybe he's happier just being one of the guys in the Twelve. I'm not saying he refused the calling, but maybe he is just as happy not having been called.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 02 Apr 2018, 11:20

It gives me hope that the church will continue to make changes. Slow and late changes but changes nonetheless.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 02 Apr 2018, 12:16

Roy wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 11:20
It gives me hope that the church will continue to make changes. Slow and late changes but changes nonetheless.
Agreed. And the apostasy moniker for people who suggest new processes bothers me. But let's hope this continues!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Apr 2018, 17:30

Yes. Absolutely. I naturally am a hopeful person, but this conference added to my natural state.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Apr 2018, 16:23

Yes, but hope mostly for other people, not me personally.

I had reached a point where any change would be welcome. Men will now spend the 3rd hour doing their best howler monkey impersonations. :thumbup: It's something different, thank god! I think most people were absolutely starved for something, anything new. Maybe that's the point leaders feel we have to reach before they make changes?

And like you said SilentDawning, these changes show that the leaders are actually capable of making changes, which is something I had lost hope in. They likely wont make changes that will make the church experience better for me, and they really shouldn't, they might end up making more people unhappy to satisfy the relatively few. So minuscule changes it is. And in an environment where nothing changes, even the smallest things create a lot of buzz and a lot of angst.

I saw a lot of angst in EQ today. People worried about 'ministering' and what it all meant. Small changes can really take people out of their comfort zones. The alphas in the room assured everyone that they still needed to visit people in their homes and give the FP message each month (despite there being no FP message now) and that all ministering meant was what we've been saying all along... be better home teachers!111!1!11eleventy!11!

We're still feeling things out in our ward and I suspect we will be for some time but so far this ministering thing is being presented as the exact same as home teaching (complete with in home monthly visits... and MORE visits if you need to), so it's HT but with a steroid injection... in other words, the exact opposite of what I interpreted the spirit of the new program to be.

Que será será. We'll eventually get it... or not. I'm really at a stage where this new program is just something else to learn how to set up boundaries around. I get the feeling that the church won't be ministering to my needs. They'll be ministering to their need of getting me to minister to their needs.

Time will tell.

The eternal cynic... prove me wrong guys. Prove me wrong. I love it when you do that. ;)