April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Roy

Re: April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Post by Roy »

I wonder if the non-consensual immorality business is a nod to the little children in the room.

My 10 year old recently asked me what "prostitute" meant. I am pretty open with my kids but I can think of a few other parents that might object to having their children exposed to the concept of rape in GC.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Roy wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 10:28 I wonder if the non-consensual immorality business is a nod to the little children in the room.

My 10 year old recently asked me what "prostitute" meant. I am pretty open with my kids but I can think of a few other parents that might object to having their children exposed to the concept of rape in GC.
Good point, Roy. Conference is rated G. I think the Brethren (or maybe just Cook) thought it needed to be addressed, but finding a way to do that without being PG or PG13 rated would have been challenging. And if it hadn't been addressed at all then there might be some kind of uproar that it wasn't addressed at all - damned if they do, damned if they don't.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Roy

Post by Roy »

Has conference always been an all ages event? It certainly does not seem to be toddler friendly. Makes me wonder if the little ones had to suffer on the hard, cramped benches of the tabernacle or if including the children came about later.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Roy wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:02 Has conference always been an all ages event? It certainly does not seem to be toddler friendly. Makes me wonder if the little ones had to suffer on the hard, cramped benches of the tabernacle or if including the children came about later.
I think it's 8 and above (except men's, which is 12), but I don't know if it has always been that way.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Roy

Post by Roy »

Oh right. I guess I am just seeing facebook posts about how to keep the little little ones occupied with conference bingo / coloring and the like.

nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Roy wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:02 Has conference always been an all ages event? It certainly does not seem to be toddler friendly. Makes me wonder if the little ones had to suffer on the hard, cramped benches of the tabernacle or if including the children came about later.
I thought general conference was always all ages. The exceptions are the General Women's Session (8 and up) and the PH Session (12 and up).

And it's not like Cook got assigned a talk about rape and had to come up with a way of saying it without saying it because there are children in the room. At least I don't think he was assigned to bring it up. If you're worried about saying "rape" because there are children in the room, perhaps one approach would be to talk on a different subject entirely?

Reserve talks during conference on Easter Sunday for stuff about how awesome Jesus is and leave all non-consensual hearing of the word rape to press conferences or policy updates to some non-conference occasion?
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright