April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Post by Old-Timer »

"Behold the man!"

This is a beautiful Easter message. Elder Uchtdorf has given some wonderful talk. This one is among the best. There is a lot of deep stuff in it for everyone here.

The most important day in our lives is when we truly learn to behold the man.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Reuben

Post by Reuben »

Old Timer wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 14:16 The most important day in our lives is when we truly learn to behold the man.
For me, he had to disappear before I could really see him. He looks so different, too.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Bishop Causse just rejected check listing, explicitly.

He also just said the spirit is as real and strong in a remote village as it is at Church Headquarters in SLC.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Reuben wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 14:26
Old Timer wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 14:16 The most important day in our lives is when we truly learn to behold the man.
For me, he had to disappear before I could really see him. He looks so different, too.
Indeed, Reuben, indeed. :thumbup:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
mom3

Post by mom3 »

Great Easter message from DFU. Easter and Christ's sacrifice is the greatest event in history.
This is why I love DFU.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

mom3 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:33 You called it Dark Jedi. Your conference radar was spot on this time.
DJ's nickname might have to be Yoda.

Like Curt said, this was a good conference. It gives me hope that additional bigger changes might come in the future. Also good because it led to some good discussions with my two daughters ages 18 and 20 and my wife and parents. Plus Easter, no church, and some R&R makes it a good weekend.
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

Old Timer wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:58 Overall, this has been my favorite conference in a LONG time - and I missed both Gong and Soares, because I was taking a friend in the ward to a long interview with the Bishop between sessions.

That friendship is a perfect example of why I am so excited about the change in HT/VT. I have been her HT, but our interactions have never included a formal lesson - and I have learned more about transgender issues from her than could have been possible in any other way, and I am beyond grateful for that insight.
Yeah. I like what they are doing. Changing, adapting, apparently listening. Still seeking after the same goals but in better, improved ways. I liked how they have the YW doing ministering. Great job! I never thought of that. I like it because it expands the reach of the church by including more people in ministering. It elevates the role of women.

Still confused about how they can call ministering a "priesthood responsibility" when it's really everyone's responsibility. But I am finding the distinction between priesthood activities and non-priesthood activities is getting smaller and smaller.

I could do without all the claims that it's revelation and such, as it makes me wonder why it came so late after home teaching has been failing for as long as I've been a member -- a source of conflict between brethren and leaders and families alike. Not to criticize, but I kept waiting for them to say "let's do our best with this new approach to ministering, and plan for further adjustments as we learn about this new process"....But that never came -- instead came the claims that it was all revelation. Thus locking them into a few more decades of problematic programming if this doesn't work as planned.

Amazing isn't it -- what is considered apostasy in one era is revelation in another!

In many cases, apostasy is simply a matter of dates.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

New temples will be built in India and Russia. Wow.

I loved the reactions of members in attendance as temples were announced in the areas where they live. It made me smile and actually laugh.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Haha, SD, I was just thinking that in my next talk I could actually say something about how home teaching was broken and not be considered an apostate. My next talk is about coming closer to Christ through ministering to others, a topic assigned last December.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Beefster

Post by Beefster »

Finally, Cook addressed the elephant in the room with cases of rape! I wish he had been more direct and called a spade a spade, but it's something.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.