April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Post by DarkJedi »

Home teaching and visiting teaching gone in favor of ministering.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
mom3

Re: April 2018 Sunday Afternoon Session (HT/VT End)

Post by mom3 »

You called it Dark Jedi. Your conference radar was spot on this time.

My oldest daughter, who is the first counselor in ward Relief Society Pres., is jumping up and down in sheer delight.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Believe me, I don't have any inside track. Unless the Force is stronger than I thought. :D Can I still hope for a 2 hour block?

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Joni

Post by Joni »

Did I hear them mention that this initiative will involve YW as well? I know a lot of people in the Bloggernacle have been wondering why YM could participate but not YW. I guess we'll hear more about it in the next talk.
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Yes, Joni they did say young women.

My Introduction
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

A step in the right direction. I have been mentioning stuff like this for the last few years. It's still assigned, so there is still an expectation that we do it, for organizational reasons, but in the absence of a report, there may be less harassing the priesthood and misguided calls to repentance than in the past.

Are they reading STayLDS for ideas on how to revamp the church?

I am glad they are showing the propensity for rapid change. Very glad.

The only report now, from what I heard is the number of interviews held by leaders to learn about the needs of the Ward. I hope they have gotten rid of the duplication between RS and the Priesthood Quorum as well.

What prompted all this change? Was it the sheer bad numbers these programs have been putting out? I am glad for it, in any case.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
kate5

Post by kate5 »

Does this mean Silent Dawning doesn't have 18 families that he's in charge of anymore?
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

kate5 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:52 Does this mean Silent Dawning doesn't have 18 families that he's in charge of anymore?
Maybe not, but he won't be expected to visit, give a lesson, and report.

My Introduction
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer »

Overall, this has been my favorite conference in a LONG time - and I missed both Gong and Soares, because I was taking a friend in the ward to a long interview with the Bishop between sessions.

That friendship is a perfect example of why I am so excited about the change in HT/VT. I have been her HT, but our interactions have never included a formal lesson - and I have learned more about transgender issues from her than could have been possible in any other way, and I am beyond grateful for that insight.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

Great Easter message from DFU. Easter and Christ's sacrifice is the greatest event in history.

My Introduction