Sunday morning April 2018

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Sunday morning April 2018

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2018, 09:06

Opening the thread. Nelson conducting, and starting with Easter music.

Good start by Elder Wilson of the Seventy with an Easter message.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Re: Sunday morning April 2018

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2018, 09:51

Generally nothing to write home about first half. Most here will probably want to skip Zivic.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Joni

Post by Joni » 01 Apr 2018, 09:57

I liked the first few talks (except for Zivic which I had a hard time understanding).

Eyring followed by Oaks are up next. Think I'll go put the ham in the oven.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2018, 10:11

Nice testimony by HBE.

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Apr 2018, 10:31

This has been a good session so far. Nothing terrible and lots of good-very good.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 01 Apr 2018, 10:56

My sidewalk has been cracked slowly but surely by church indoctrination. Oaks seems like a walking analogy machine. Maybe I should stop until I have something positive to contribute.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 01 Apr 2018, 11:09

Both DHO's and RMN's talks got me wondering something. What's the scriptural support for the idea that increasing your obedience in small things results in better revelation, more Spirit, etc.? I'm drawing a blank.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Apr 2018, 11:13

Reuben wrote:
01 Apr 2018, 11:09
Both DHO's and RMN's talks got me wondering something. What's the scriptural support for the idea that increasing your obedience in small things results in better revelation, more Spirit, etc.? I'm drawing a blank.
That's one I've struggled with for awhile. I have found no scriptural support for it.

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 01 Apr 2018, 11:33

Just a thread jack of thanks here. I have a full weekend and am not popping in for GC at all, but last night at midnight, I did read through the threads. I appreciate that resource. Thank you Curt, Dark Jedi and everyone for running them and commenting.

I will be back in October to do my part.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

dande48

Post by dande48 » 01 Apr 2018, 13:29

Didn't see a new topic for Sunday afternoon...

NO MORE HOME TEACHING?!!! :smile:
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket