April 2018 General Men's Session

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Beefster

Re: April 2018 General Men's Session

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 18:11

HBE is advocating pushy home teaching. Gross.

There is a silver lining at least. She was at least able to get help from them. It's going past the checklisting.
Last edited by Beefster on 31 Mar 2018, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 31 Mar 2018, 18:11

So with no PEC, is this a Sunday with no other meeting except for Bishopric meeting? How often is correlation meeting held? This was the biggest time consumer when I was Bishop. Every Sunday we had bishopric meeting, then PEC or correlation.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:14

Beefster, the overall story is a good one. We can take multiple views of parts of it, but the story itself is a good one - especially his focus at the end on charity.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 18:17

TBF, I have been tuning things out somewhat. I just fear that some members will cherry pick from that story and weaponize it.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Sometimes our journeys take us to unexpected places. That is a truly beautiful thing.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:23

Sure, they might - but that is on them and isn't really different than us using it as a weapon. We shouldn't do what we fear others will do.

That is important to recognize for internal peace.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:30

Elder Oaks' story of the EQP receiving revelation for an Elder in his Quorum is inspirational, but it is a two-edged sword - easily abused by people who assume they can get revelation for others.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:32

It is a tricky balancing act to talk of fathers presiding in the home while simultaneously being equal partners with their wives.

I would like to change that wording to co-presiding or simply drop the whole presiding wording and focus on equal partners.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:35

It is obvious that President Nelson has heard the chatter about Elder Uchtdorf being demoted.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:43

I like the focus on ministering one-on-one.

"I began to love and respect him." That is the key.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 19:05

Sheldon wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 18:11
So with no PEC, is this a Sunday with no other meeting except for Bishopric meeting? How often is correlation meeting held? This was the biggest time consumer when I was Bishop. Every Sunday we had bishopric meeting, then PEC or correlation.
In this area bishops have toned down PEC a lot over the past couple years. Mostly stuff had been done in ward council. Ward council is held as often as necessary. Again, here that's usually twice a month.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction