April 2018 General Men's Session

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Beefster

Re: April 2018 General Men's Session

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 18:11

HBE is advocating pushy home teaching. Gross.

There is a silver lining at least. She was at least able to get help from them. It's going past the checklisting.
Last edited by Beefster on 31 Mar 2018, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 31 Mar 2018, 18:11

So with no PEC, is this a Sunday with no other meeting except for Bishopric meeting? How often is correlation meeting held? This was the biggest time consumer when I was Bishop. Every Sunday we had bishopric meeting, then PEC or correlation.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:14

Beefster, the overall story is a good one. We can take multiple views of parts of it, but the story itself is a good one - especially his focus at the end on charity.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Beefster

Post by Beefster » 31 Mar 2018, 18:17

TBF, I have been tuning things out somewhat. I just fear that some members will cherry pick from that story and weaponize it.
Boys are governed by rules. Men are governed by principles.

Often I hear doubt being presented as the opposite of faith but I think certainty does a better job of filling that role. Doubts can help faith grow, certainty almost always makes faith shrink. --nibbler

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:23

Sure, they might - but that is on them and isn't really different than us using it as a weapon. We shouldn't do what we fear others will do.

That is important to recognize for internal peace.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:30

Elder Oaks' story of the EQP receiving revelation for an Elder in his Quorum is inspirational, but it is a two-edged sword - easily abused by people who assume they can get revelation for others.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:32

It is a tricky balancing act to talk of fathers presiding in the home while simultaneously being equal partners with their wives.

I would like to change that wording to co-presiding or simply drop the whole presiding wording and focus on equal partners.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:35

It is obvious that President Nelson has heard the chatter about Elder Uchtdorf being demoted.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Mar 2018, 18:43

I like the focus on ministering one-on-one.

"I began to love and respect him." That is the key.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 31 Mar 2018, 19:05

Sheldon wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 18:11
So with no PEC, is this a Sunday with no other meeting except for Bishopric meeting? How often is correlation meeting held? This was the biggest time consumer when I was Bishop. Every Sunday we had bishopric meeting, then PEC or correlation.
In this area bishops have toned down PEC a lot over the past couple years. Mostly stuff had been done in ward council. Ward council is held as often as necessary. Again, here that's usually twice a month.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction